help, maybe?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

help, maybe?

Postby mittmutt » June 9th, 2007, 12:49 am

ImageImage

I could use some help on this one. It has no markings that I can find other than what looks like the letters WF punched into the wrist strap. The glove appears to be from the 20's so I'm wondering if the laces on the fingers are by an owner? It's an adult size and is very soft. Thanks for looking and for any ideas, Lee
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

modified grommet web

Postby Mike**Mize » June 9th, 2007, 10:32 pm

My guess is that this is an owner modified grommet web. I'd suggest you might try removing the finger laces and see how it looks. After a while you'll forget they were ever there. Looks just like a couple of Spalding grommet web gloves I have in my collection.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » June 11th, 2007, 8:08 pm

I'm not very good with pictures but here are a couple more. The WF on the wrist strap is a bit baffling. It may well be a owner modified glove so thanks Mike for your reply. Any other thoughts?

mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

W F ?

Postby Mike**Mize » June 11th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Clearly somebody really liked this glove and used it over many seasons.
Now, if you were to find grommets on the finger tips where the glove is laced, maybe there's more to the story. It's fun to imagine how gloves like this one evolved. Clearly somebody on the team arrived at practice one day with a brand new Dazzy Vance model. Or maybe it was a picture in a magazine. I suspect WF decided he wanted that look and took the bull by the horns and punched holes and laced it up.
Looks like a nice fat Spalding grommet web to me. Nice glove.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » June 12th, 2007, 1:03 am

Hi Lee,

I totally agree with Mikemize on this glove. It looks like a double grommet flap web to me with a revamped double strand through the fingers to give it that cool Dazzy look. If grommets were in the fingers, it would certainly seem more likely to be a factory job. Just guessing, but the tool (ice pick perhaps) that punched the holes in the fingers may also have been the tool used to do the WF initials.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » June 12th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Thanks guys for your imput. I love this glove and I'm glad to have more info on it. My last question, did the Spaulding you mentioned have any markings on it? Thanks again, Lee
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures