Walter Schmidt Catchers Mitt

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Walter Schmidt Catchers Mitt

Postby softball66 » August 8th, 2010, 8:26 am

I found a rarity today -- a Walter Schmidt Reach 5A (top of the line) catchers mitt from the mid-1920. I think I can bring it up to an Excellent Grade Rating with some cleaning. The signature is outstanding in both the stamping and the unusual cursive style of Schmidt's stamped signature. Frankly, I'd not heard of Schmidt. He was a long time Pittsburgh catcher and played a year with the great Honus Wagner. At first, looking at the signature I thought it was Schmidt, but couldn't recall the name, then believed it was Val Picinich, nope, back to Walter Schmidt. As a top of the line mitt has to be rarer to find and I don't recall one or two of these showing up with price guide showing very rare. I will try to post a picture here when I have it cleaned up. :)
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Walter Schmidt Catchers Mitt

Postby Rickybulldog » August 8th, 2010, 11:21 am

Rickybulldog

Postby softball66 » August 8th, 2010, 11:39 am

that's the same mitt Ricky. I can't tell whether ebay's is lefty or righty. My stamping is better. but overall condition considering 90 years old hard to say which his or mine is better condition.
I have a 1/2 inch tear above the belt buckle, otherwise intact and it conditioned overall nicely, no broken laces.. This guy may get some nice action as it should be a model 5A and "wouldn't ya know"
two toughies show up at the same time. Have you seen or heard of any more? Thanks for posting. --TGC
softball66

Postby mikesglove » August 8th, 2010, 5:09 pm

This is a picture of the Reach Walter Schmidt 5A model that was in my collection a number of years ago. It was an absolute tank of a mitt featuring a buckle web. The stamping was so nice and the cursive signature really eye-catching. web.
schmidt11.JPG
schmidt12.JPG
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » August 9th, 2010, 7:19 am

You sold that mitt! GASP! They would have had to pry that one from my dead grasp!
Note Mike that your's has a buckle web. What a hunka leather. A catcher in a fight could club a chin with his mask with right hand and smack 'em in the eye with his left holding this Schmidt model.
As old Ernie Ford usta sing, "if the right one don't getcha, the left one will."
Still your mitt was pristine, mines dug more than just a few out of the dirt and wasn't so well preserved. Love that stamped signature.
TGC :shock: :shock: :shock:
softball66

Postby mikesglove » August 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Joe, you are right about it being a weapon.The leather was in good shape but It had not really been broken in very much. The leather was so thick, it had absolutely no give to it.
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » August 10th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Now you know a lot of ML catchers and pros were using this mitt and probably the Spalding 12-O Honor, Goldsmith Chief Meyers CM, D&M Wally Schang 710, and Rawlings CY Perksin HL were on the big league scene as well in the mid 1920s. All retailed for $15 or $16. The Schang model is a beauty.
:roll:
softball66

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures