Red, White and Blue

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Red, White and Blue

Postby mittmutt » April 22nd, 2007, 1:40 am

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a history on the Rawlings red, white and blue gloves? I have a Roberto Clemente model 470-62 that is in excellent condition though it's a lht.
Thanks,
Lee
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

Pink, White & Green

Postby softball66 » April 22nd, 2007, 11:19 pm

When we find a lot of the old red,white and blue they've been sun faded and left in the rain to lusterless, flat colors. I think Rawlings was experimenting this with their glove colors in the early to mid 1970s. With some color combinations and solids in reds and blues and since Rawlings was making these for Spalding the same gloves and colors carried over to the Spalding lines.
I can recall the Brooks Robinson/Clemente award winner gloves and we ran an article in the newsletter about the red glove that mortified the kid who wound up with one. :oops:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mittmutt » April 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm

Thanks Joe for the info. The glove I have is faded a bit but overall it's pretty nice, a mid range glove with strong lettering. I also have a Mantle red, white and blue but it is faded quite a bit more. I really enjoy learning about the different gloves I find and hopefully you and the others on this board won't mind me asking lot's of questions. I subscribe to the newsletter and I have a price guide but your website says that you are sold out of the catalog resource book unfotunately. If any more come available please let us all know. My only complaint is that the newsletter only comes every other month. Thanks for all the things you do for the glove collecting hobby and the way you so willing share all of your knowledge. We all really apprreciate it.
Lee
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

You bet

Postby softball66 » April 24th, 2007, 11:45 am

Lee, you're more than welcome. You'll find that nearly everyone in our glove hobby will be glad to help. This has been that way since our newsletter inception when a vintage seller told me that the glove guys were the nicest he had to sell to and work with. It's a great community and we're glad to have you in it. Brett has kindly opened up this forum and you can tell from it the quality of people who participate here. Anytime you need info or help, just call on us.
Soon as i get all those spalding catalogs from Dave B. I'll have the new source book ready.

:P
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion