Toughest 1950s Personal Models

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Toughest 1950s Personal Models

Postby okdoak » January 28th, 2009, 3:53 pm

An older thread on the few Spalding Phil Rizzuto PM's that have turned up got me thinking about this. Which are the toughest 1950s PM's to find? My list of tough ones: Macgregor GC10 Gus Bell (have never seen one on ebay), Spalding Sam Esposito, Sam Mele, Don Larsen, and Sal Maglie PM's. Though there is no shortage of lower priced Espositos and Meles, I can't remember ever seeing an Esposito PM and maybe a couple Mele PM's (I have one of them, the really beat up one). The early A2000s seem pretty scarce as do the Rawlings HSPs (have not seen an HH on ebay for quite awhile now, but the HSPs seem much tougher to find to me). Anyone else wish they were flying down the road in a 57 Corvette (T-Bird is okay too) listening to Chuck Berry on AM with a brand new HSP tucked behind the seat?!
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

speaking of 1957

Postby softball66 » January 28th, 2009, 7:43 pm

I was flying down the road in 1957 but in a Chrysler New Yorker, borrowed from my parents of course. I was more into Fats Domino and was playing my senior year of high school baseball with, to the best of my memory, a JG
Rawlings model. I did find the first Kangaroo glove I'd seen that summer, a Nokona that I loved.
The Spalding Personal Models from that era do seem to be more scarece than the Rawlings and Wilson PMs. The HSP had a narrower production span than the HH, according the glove catalog source book (hint). And find a Roy Sievers RSP model?
Hate to admit this, I own a Gus Bell GC10 and like the poster, I haven't seen a lot of these.
I remember about 10 years ago, I almost fainted when I found a mint Frank Bolling personal model Spalding in mint condition.
softball66

Cruisin'

Postby okdoak » January 28th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Lucky that gas was cheap back then, Joe! I graduated HS in 1971 but had a friend who drove a late 50s Olds and another buddy had a 64 ( I think) Buick Wildcat. Lots of leg room in those tanks! Oops, off the track again...Yeah, very few RSP sightings or Rolfe RR 40s or 50s era. Haven't seen a Rawlings Bob Dillinger for awhile either, but I have one so they can't be too scarce. Any opinion on why the RR is so much tougher than say a KK, MC, or BD? Feel like posting a pic of your GC10 sometime? Promise I won't pester you about selling it, I just have never seen one!
okdoak

Personal Models

Postby swalt1234 » January 28th, 2009, 9:40 pm

I think Rawlings HSPs are fairly common, most of us have seen a bunch. The trick of course is to find one in great shape and the hand that you want. It seems a lot more collectors are looking for a good HH or RR. I think Joe is right that the Spalding Personals are tough to get: that Spalding Colavito 1141 and the Maris Personal are so nice...
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Here goes some pix

Postby softball66 » January 28th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Guys I took these shots years ago. There's a combo shot of two Gus Bell personal models, the GC10 (which I think a lot of pros were using) and the odd, smaller MPM (nice looking glove though and fits like silk on the hand.)
softball66

Postby okdoak » January 30th, 2009, 3:16 am

Nice!
okdoak

Interesting contrast

Postby softball66 » January 30th, 2009, 8:56 am

Yes that MPM was a honey. I sold it to a great Cincy Reds collector, Kenny Wolfe, who's taking good care of it. Of the two gloves pictured, notice how much smaller the MPM is than the GC10. Of the two I favored putting on the the MPM. I have a Johnny Temple MacGregor personal model that has the same great feel. MacGregor did a good job with its leathers as probably others on the forum would agree, in the 1950s. I understand that a lot of the quality fell away at MacGregor when Brunswick purchased the company and many of the old Goldsmith craftsmen were let go or retired.
Of the personal model issue, the Rawlings personals are the most common as Rawlings was out-producing most of the others. Wilson had its A2000, which wasn't listed as a personal model (some of the just under A2, the Antonellis and Foxes do show up fairly often). Spalding and MacGregor were running three and four behind those two and consequently their sales smaller thus fewer of their top models show up.
softball66

1950s Personal Model Gloves

Postby DaveGrob » January 30th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I picked up a rather nice glove to support an article I never got around to writing. If this glove is high on someone's wish list, please let me know as I have no real attachment to this glove.

1950s Sal Maglie Spalding 1061 Personal Model (right handed thrower). Very clean patch and button, sliver still present in stampings.

Haven't figured out how to upload images, but more than happy to send pics.

Cheers,
Dave Grob
DaveGrob
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 30th, 2009, 8:53 pm

I always liked the Rawlings MC Mort Cooper - I remember we found one back about 15 years ago and it was a huge glove. Haven't seen many since.

okdoak, I know you are looking for an RR - here is the one in my collection. Be happy to trade - drop me an email and maybe we can work something out.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby okdoak » January 31st, 2009, 12:06 am

Sounds great, Brett!
okdoak

Re: Toughest 1950s Personal Models

Postby mplsgloves » April 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

I really like fixing up MacGregors from the 50's and 60's so I was quite excited to recently snag a well worn GC10 for $30 on ebay. While listening to countless zoom/skype meetings over the last week, I've been slowly working on cleaning, relacing and bringing it back to life and I am really pleased with how it turned out. Here are the before and after shots:
ImageImage
ImageImage

The reason I replied to this 11 year old thread is my GC10 looks very similar to the MPM pic posted by softball66. And like his note about the MPM being a noticeably smaller model than the GC10 pictured next to it, my GC10 also seems to be a smaller glove. Not nearly as big as a Mays G101 I have from about the same year. So it makes me wonder, did MacGregor make two sizes of the GC10? Or did the model just get a lot smaller over the years? The catalogs from the era I've seen don't provide any clues. So if anyone has more info on that, I'd love to hear it. I'm also curious about the MPM. I've never seen another mention of one. Was it just a pro model?
mplsgloves
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Toughest 1950s Personal Models

Postby vintagebrett » April 15th, 2020, 7:49 am

Great job! Turned out great. I had an MPM a few years back and it was tiny - very well made but small. There could be slight differences in sizes from year to year I'm guessing or could be the way the glove was broken in that makes it appears smaller.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion