A new favorite...

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

A new favorite...

Postby vintagebrett » June 16th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Just picked this one up today. I'm cool with the fact that it's left handed because it is an absolute beauty - the pictures do not do this glove justice! It is a Sonnett model PBF Jim Davenport endorsed glove. The web is kind of strange - it says A Bomb 300. I'm not really sure what this is a reference to - I don't know anything about Jim Davenport so maybe it's related to him. The glove also has a red colored welting between the fingers - it sort of makes it even cooler. It wasn't colored by someone, it's all original. The box is beat but still displays pretty well. I was a little concerned because the box says RH and this definitely a LH glove but I got over it pretty quick once I put the glove on.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Nice glove....good find!

Postby MVALZ » June 16th, 2006, 10:51 pm

James Houston Davenport (born August 17, 1933 in Siluria, Alabama) is a former Major League Baseball infielder (mostly third base) who played his entire career with the San Francisco Giants (1958-1970). The right-handed batter and thrower attended the University of Southern Mississippi.

He played in one World Series in 1962, when the Giants lost to the New York Yankees. However coincidentally, it was the same year that he made his only All-Star team, almost batting .300 at .297 on the season.

Davenport, however, was known for his fielding, winning a Gold Glove at 3B, also in 1962.

He had a career batting average of .258 with 77 home runs and 456 RBIs. He had 1142 career hits in 4427 at bats. He played in 1501 games in 13 years.

After being a coach for a number of years, Davenport was made the manager for the Giants in 1985, but was soon replaced by Roger Craig after accumulating a 56-88 record. He became a Philadelphia Phillies coach in 1987.

In 2006, Davenport was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures