Rawlings cutting costs

This is an archive section - it is read only

Super Profit skin

Postby GloveGypsy » December 5th, 2008, 8:36 am

All the gloves with leather backs that I have worked on have really held up as well.

I just always assumed that the back of the glove holds up well because the impact of the baseball does not occur there, but that's just me.

Alas, my game is not refined enough to know an 1.5 oz. difference on the back of my hand. I am either going to get that smoked grounder, or I am not.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Taking Enemy Fire

Postby softball66 » December 5th, 2008, 9:39 am

Gawd I hate smoked grounders! Especially with top spin!
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Super Profit skin

Postby bs » December 5th, 2008, 10:34 am

GloveGypsy wrote:All the gloves with leather backs that I have worked on have really held up as well.

I just always assumed that the back of the glove holds up well because the impact of the baseball does not occur there, but that's just me.

I am no Wilson expert but the glove that I worked on the leather finger tips on the thumb and index finger looked terrible. The leather looked like the kid had taken sand paper to the finger tips to remove the top grain while the Superskin still looked pretty good.

I agree that the main function for the back of the glove is to provide structural integrity but astatically the Superskin looked much better after a couple years of hard use.

Of course one glove is a small sample size!
bs
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Super Profit skin

Postby wbunnell » December 5th, 2008, 11:15 am

GloveGypsy wrote:All the gloves with leather backs that I have worked on have really held up as well.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic (which I honestly don't mean to be) that's kind of the point. They use it in an area that doesn't have contact with the ball to save weight and also helps break in the glove easier. I'm not saying its the greatest thing ever to gloves. Some people don't like it but for others its another tool for them to use.
wbunnell
Rookie Glove Poster

Mesh backed gloves

Postby Glovenut 1 » December 6th, 2008, 5:42 am

I have a TPX Clemens that I got cheaply WHILE he was still playing. I'm quite sure Louisville lost considerable money on these because what started-off as an expensive glove was a giveaway even during his career and certainly prior to any hearings.

The glove itself was rather flimsy and certainly not appealing to purists. About all it's good for now is Bar-B-Que starter. Though NEVER used, I doubt if I could get 50 bucks for it.

But you're right in thinking that companies will try to market these using big names to promote sales. But- to my way of thinking, there's no way a mesh-backed glove should cost as much as full leather.

So far as A-Rod endorsing these- I think he'd also peddle his used jocks on eBay if he felt he could make a buck. Signed ones will ofcourse cost you more. There's no end to the greed and chicanery.

Cheers,

Glovenut 1
Your next glove will be the best one you own!
Glovenut 1
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Mesh backed gloves

Postby Paulypal » December 6th, 2008, 11:26 am

Glovenut 1 wrote:So far as A-Rod endorsing these- I think he'd also peddle his used jocks on eBay if he felt he could make a buck. Signed ones will ofcourse cost you more. There's no end to the greed and chicanery.

Of course an ARod knock was coming eventually for using the glove. Maybe he actually prefers the glove, just as Clemens preferred to use his. That doesnt have anything to do with making a buck for Arod. He can make a buck using a winter mitten with a red "R" patch.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Mesh backed gloves

Postby Brotherray » December 6th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Paulypal wrote:
Glovenut 1 wrote:So far as A-Rod endorsing these- I think he'd also peddle his used jocks on eBay if he felt he could make a buck. Signed ones will ofcourse cost you more. There's no end to the greed and chicanery.

Of course an ARod knock was coming eventually for using the glove. Maybe he actually prefers the glove, just as Clemens preferred to use his. That doesnt have anything to do with making a buck for Arod. He can make a buck using a winter mitten with a red "R" patch.

Well put...
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Wilson to Vietnam

Postby splinters » December 6th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Also noticed all the new Wilson A2000 gloves are now made in Vietnam instead of Japan.
splinters
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » December 8th, 2008, 6:06 am

glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information