Play Ball With Ozzie Smith And My Pro12TC

This is an archive section - it is read only

Postby DT » July 26th, 2008, 9:20 pm

rmiller wrote:I congratulate you on your decision! I have of a couple of questions:

Why only one shot to turn the DP? Was that a time thing or something? And did they really stick to it- did anyone not turn it, but get a second chance?

Yes, it was a time thing - so that everyone would get a chance to turn two double-plays. They enforced it on everyone except for the kids. When they'd muff a ground ball, George Brett would yell "give 'em another one" and we all agreed that the kids should get extra opportunities.

rmiller wrote:How great and ironic it is that you got to hang out with George Brett almost 25 years, to the day, of the pine tar incident, as Goose Gossage is being inducted! Wow!

Brett talked about that event - he said on the pitch that he hit the homerun, Gossage later told him he was trying to hit Brett in the neck, but missed (and Brett sure took advantage of that mistake). When asked what made Gossage so good, Brett said that it was because he threw so hard, was "conveniently wild" and his delivery was a mass of arms, legs, shoulders and elbows thus making it especially difficult for "right handed hitters" (Brett hit left-handed :D )

rmiller wrote:On a side note, how funny, and ironic that Gaylord Perry tried to make off with the bat before it could get sent to the league. What a classic moment! Here’s a story and a clip of the incident in its entirety:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Great story, thanks for the link!
DT
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BuffaloGlover » July 28th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Wow, great story! Not many people get to meet their baseball hero let alone get on the field and toss the ball to them.

I have met and spoken with my idol, Ron Santo, but unfortunately don't think he will ever take the field again. The next best thing for me would be to see him in the Hall of Fame.

Glad to see you retired the glove, I actually got nervous when you were thinking of using it. :lol:
BuffaloGlover
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby DT » July 28th, 2008, 10:06 pm

BuffaloGlover wrote:I have met and spoken with my idol, Ron Santo, but unfortunately don't think he will ever take the field again. The next best thing for me would be to see him in the Hall of Fame.

I love Ron Santo - have you seen the documentary his son did about him? I loved it, very inspiring

You can get it here:
http://www.thisoldcub.com/
DT
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby h2o-x » July 30th, 2008, 6:59 pm

What a fantastic story! My 8 year-old loved it.

It's perfect timing for us, as we are both working on breaking in our new Rawlings traps.
h2o-x
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby DT » July 30th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. There are a lot more interesting details I've been wanting to add, but haven't had the time.

I will try to post them soon though!

h2o-x wrote:What a fantastic story! My 8 year-old loved it.

It's perfect timing for us, as we are both working on breaking in our new Rawlings traps.
DT
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby DT » December 4th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just got a video of the event and thought I'd share it with anyone that's interested. It's my opinion that every baseball lover should get the chance to turn two with the Wizard. I still can't believe I did it.

Boy, I thought I was smoother than that - think it's time to hit the gym!!
DT
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » December 4th, 2008, 11:00 pm

I thought that was plenty smooth. You should have got on ozzie, he looked like he was just trying to avoid the runner there and not going for the out.
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby aliciabb » December 4th, 2008, 11:45 pm

cool vid, I'm sure I would've fumbled under the pressure of playing in front of those legends.
aliciabb
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » December 5th, 2008, 12:19 am

DT,

There's no such thing as a dead thread. I'm glad you brought it back or I wouldn't have known of your unbelievable experience!

You are a lucky man.
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information