This is an archive section - it is read only

David Wright

Postby robin_buckeye » November 14th, 2008, 11:32 pm

David Wright talks about his Baseball Glove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEU9I99WXOQ
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 15th, 2008, 12:40 am

He said a lot of nothing...sort of like his post game interviews,,,but I digress. I am not sure but didnt he use Rawlings before his A2K while in the majors?

MLB players get contracts and when the expire they go to the next high bidder...............this goes for free agency and glove companies.

On another note I had and A2K it doesnt compare to Rawlings HOH in my opinion.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » November 15th, 2008, 2:32 am

Yes, he started off using rawlings and switched to wilson. I bought his A2K model glove when it came out and it was not very nice in my opinion, got rid of it.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 15th, 2008, 9:41 am

I never figured out how those gloves were $299.

I know a lot of people love them which is fine...different strokes as they say.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » November 15th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Two things:

1. Please lay off David Wright. He gets enough from the New York media. He's my third basemen, gold glover two years counting and the team leader.

2. Please stop putting youtube videos on this forum. I just wasted my entire morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 15th, 2008, 3:35 pm

opticsp wrote:Two things:

1. Please lay off David Wright. He gets enough from the New York media. He's my third basemen, gold glover two years counting and the team leader.

2. Please stop putting youtube videos on this forum. I just wasted my entire morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:.

LOL!...i seriously love david wright (my fav. player)...just an absolute stud on the field and a great guy off the field too...GO METS!!!!
o yea...i don't know if this is true, but some people have said that the wilson a2k dw5 is a little different than the other a2ks...i've actually heard really good reviews about the dw5 and how, as david mentioned, the palm is soft so you get a good feel and the shell is hard so it maintains its shape
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » November 15th, 2008, 3:49 pm

No, the dw5 is the exact same. A2k's only have two things going for them, they look nice and they have a good feeling thumb piece
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 15th, 2008, 7:11 pm

I am also a Mets fan. Thats why I am so in tune with his post game interviews. I hate to knock your favorite player but him winning 2 GG's in a row just shows you how weak NL 3rd basmen are. I like David Wright, but he has a way to go before he is as good as most Mets fans think he is. Especially when it counts. The Mets dont have a leader..that is truly a team divided, but again I digress.

I wonder what kind of contracts players get from glove companies.
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 15th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Paulypal wrote:

I am also a Mets fan. Thats why I am so in tune with his post game interviews. I hate to knock your favorite player but him winning 2 GG's in a row just shows you how weak NL 3rd basmen are. I like David Wright, but he has a way to go before he is as good as most Mets fans think he is. Especially when it counts. The Mets dont have a leader..that is truly a team divided, but again I digress.

.302 avg 33 homers 124 ribbies and he can steal too...2 straight silver sluggers and 2 gold gloves...what more do you want from him? not to mention he's only 25...u name a player other than manny or pujols that has better all around game than wright
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » November 15th, 2008, 9:32 pm

I know Wright always had great #'s for his regular seasons he's played in the majors. Does anyone have access to his postseason #'s ? To me the post season is where it really counts. It's what separates good players from great players. Great players perform even better in the postseason and will carry their teams. I also would be curious to know his #'s down the stretch during the 2 late season collapses the mets had.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Tweener510 » November 15th, 2008, 9:39 pm

I'm just gonna throw this out there...Pedro Feliz should have won the GG in 2007. Look at his numbers (fielding pct, range, etc) and its clear he got robbed. I hate how the GG goes to great hitters hitters who are good fielders, and not great fielders.
Tweener510
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glovin » November 15th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Tweener510 wrote:I'm just gonna throw this out there...Pedro Feliz should have won the GG in 2007. Look at his numbers (fielding pct, range, etc) and its clear he got robbed. I hate how the GG goes to great hitters hitters who are good fielders, and not great fielders.

yea i agree...like how j-roll got it over tulo
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » November 15th, 2008, 11:18 pm

RedSoxFan81 wrote:I know Wright always had great #'s for his regular seasons he's played in the majors. Does anyone have access to his postseason #'s ? To me the post season is where it really counts. It's what separates good players from great players. Great players perform even better in the postseason and will carry their teams. I also would be curious to know his #'s down the stretch during the 2 late season collapses the mets had.

Name a player with more than 100 or so playoff at-bats whose post season stats are significantly higher than his regular season ones. Small sample size and higher caliber competition account for most of these differences. Wright hasn't had enough playoff appearances to evaluate him yet.

Just for grins -- here are three great players - top line regular season, bottom line post season BA/OB/SA

Manny
.314 .411 .593
.286 .399 .550
Pujols
.334 .425 .624
.323 .429 .593
Ruth
.342 .474 .690
.326 .467 .744

Look about the same to me.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Paulypal » November 16th, 2008, 12:01 am

glovin wrote:
Paulypal wrote:

.302 avg 33 homers 124 ribbies and he can steal too...2 straight silver sluggers and 2 gold gloves...what more do you want from him? not to mention he's only 25...u name a player other than manny or pujols that has better all around game than wright

You really dont think Wright is the 3rd best player in baseball do you? Can you wait a few years before you say that? He isnt the best thirdbasemen in NY. Wright has a way to go. Unlike most Met fans I am not setting my DVR to record Wrights HOF induction speech just yet.

Wright can be a great player and have a great career, he is well on his way but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

More importanly for the purpose of this website..........I am not a huge fan of his glove. LOL
Paulypal
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » November 16th, 2008, 1:03 am

I would give the edge to Arod as far as hitting goes because during the regular season , for the # of years he's played , his numbers are outstanding. But, he definitely doesn't hit when it counts. His post season #'s are nothing special. For someone who is gonna probably end up being the all time home run leader he has only hit 7 postseason homeruns. His numbers in the Yankees last 3 trips to the playoffs were horrible. In the playoff games I've watched I've seen him not get a crucial hit when needed more often then not. The display manny ramirez put on this post season , and the portion from when he joined the dodgers up to the post season was flat out ridiculous.He hit .520 with 4 home runs and 10 RBIs in this years postseason. I know some mentioned Wright gets too much hype, but I'd have to say Jose Reyes if anyone gets too much hype. Plenty of better shortstops than him, yet they go on and on about him. In my eyes Wright if a much better player than Reyes.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Next

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information