Rawlings identity problem

This is an archive section - it is read only

Rawlings identity problem

Postby candlestick » October 8th, 2008, 11:02 pm

OK, can anyone help me out here. Why does this glove have the made in USA stamped into the palm and an oval R on the thumb? The block Rawlings patch on the back does not say Made in USA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rawlings-PRO-HF-Hea ... 286.c0.m14

or ebay # 160290773395

Thanks!
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

HF

Postby JC » October 8th, 2008, 11:09 pm

A Pro HF should have an "H" web. The glove shown has a single post web.
I am not sure what is up with this glove.............
JC
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby drzubia8 » October 8th, 2008, 11:09 pm

an even better question is, where is the "H"? :lol:
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" - Earl Weaver
drzubia8
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » October 8th, 2008, 11:40 pm

yeah, where the H is the H? :evil:
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » October 9th, 2008, 12:25 am

First off, it has 1 dot. Made in 2001- All USA Rawlings have the oval patch after 2000/ 2001. Look at Griffey's current glove (i have a blurry pic on my iphone from last week's twins sox games at the dome, its hard to see so I didnt post it) Anyway. Griffey is currently using a Doc made USA TB in black with black patches and an oval R. Look at the "throwback" leather one a guy on here recently rebayed- oval R. As for the no H web, I'm guessing whoever ordered it specified to put an SP web on an HF pattern, or someone just switched out the webs.

What I find most interesting is that massive fading going on with the tan.

Also, doesnt that pattern/shape look like a mis stamped PRO-6HF?
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » October 9th, 2008, 4:45 am

Also, doesnt that pattern/shape look like a mis stamped PRO-6HF?[/quote]

That was my first thought.

They left that one in the storefront window too long....too bad :(
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 9th, 2008, 9:59 am

Looks like one from 1999 the last year in the Ava Mo. plant. has the eyelets, the USA in palm but patch never had Usa at that time, they were trying to sneak to the orient with these without the players or public figuring it out until it was too late. and it looks like for the most part they gotter done...The fading is what you see from being in a display case. Rawlings moved 2 years ago from Fenton Mo office to Maryville office ( just across town in St.LOuis area) and don't believe I have seen the case. so there you have it..
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby quaz95 » October 9th, 2008, 10:22 am

hey doc,

Can you explain no pro 6 hf? just pro hf, maybe a blemish?

thanks
john
"To live is Christ to die is Gain."
quaz95
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 9th, 2008, 1:14 pm

I made some single post HF for some occasion with Reggie Jackson He used that model > it probably escaped from that time. Employees from then seemed to have a few salted away from the old days, not much security back then, or if a over run they were tossed in the employees sale.
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby oakfan33 » October 10th, 2008, 12:26 am

I've noticed that the center horizontal bar doesn't line up with the 2 lacing holes that are right next to it. You would think those would match up. Also, what's with the horizontal lacing down at the bottom of the vertical bar of the web(on the outside of the glove). That doesn't look right either.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 10th, 2008, 8:30 am

The holes arent lined up perfectly because we used single post that is 1/2" to short, wont make a die for no more of them than we made. the laces at the bottom are on all single post to anchor the web better and control stretching.

Bob
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Offtopic

Postby Yorick » October 10th, 2008, 9:03 am

Sorry, offtopic, Bob pm's sent...
Yorick
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby SJDPE » October 10th, 2008, 9:15 am

All good points. We have all seen (from that era) gloves bearing both the Made in USA stamp in the palm, AND the oval R patch. Examples include the Eastbay flagpatch gloves from that same period. What I find astonishing, and I've never seen this before, is that this glove bears the Made in USA in the palm, but has the new style woven Rawlings rectangular patch on the wrist strap (without the Made in USA stitching). I have never seen that combo before. Doc's comment about phasing over the switchover to the Orient for fabrication may explain this. Still, was this combo a one off ? Very interesting.
SJDPE
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby skwid » October 12th, 2008, 6:40 pm

I have a Pro-6HF with that combination. It's the only glove in my collection I can't bring myself to use. I picked it up on eBay a few years ago. When I received it, I realized it was a step above everything I had bough at retail. The leather is gorgeous, and the welting was left a little long at the fingers.
skwid
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » October 12th, 2008, 7:10 pm

I have some pics of more USA's with current patches somewhere. I'll post them when I find. It's definitely not a 1 time deal we're seeing here.
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Archive - Modern Glove Information