Need help from Rawlings guru's on Red,White,&Blue 70s gl

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Need help from Rawlings guru's on Red,White,&Blue 70s gl

Postby dapert » August 12th, 2008, 11:24 pm

I picked up a Clemente and a Jackson Red,White, & Blue gloves from the early 70's. They have two dots on them so I'm assuming they are from '72.

Anyhow they are now dark red, kinda white, and green. I've tried fast orange, Lexol ph, Lexol, & Lanolin to get some color back but no can do. The gloves are now much softer and cleaner but the color is toast.

I have no intention of selling these and I'd love to try to dye them to their original colors but I'm looking for an expert who can tell me the actual original color names and what the odds are of finding a dye to match. I'm not too worried about the red or white but I would imagine the blue will be tough. Inside the glove there are patches of the original color and I would love to be able to see these in their original glory. The entire pocket in that brite blue must be some site to see. The writing on the Clemente is like new so I'd have to be very careful as I don't want to just cover over the original black markings.

So if anyone can lead me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » August 13th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I shall contact Horween and see if they can give me a finish color for them.
Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby dapert » August 13th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Thanks Doc.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » September 12th, 2008, 11:25 am

Well I tried Fiebing's Red, Light Blue, and White on a test subject and they aren't even close. Looking at the colors in the bottle and on the cotton dauber I saw a glimmer of hope but no such luck. The light blue and red where just entirely too dark and the white is more of a glaze look if you know what I mean.

When I was in Tandy they had some velvet cloth that had the exact blue I was looking for but the dude working there had no idea where they came from or how I could find that color. I showed him the glove and he told me I'd never find those colors on my own because nothing I could buy as a consumer would be close. His exact words were that the manufacturer could use chemicals and dyes that just aren't safe for hobbyists and that's what's needed for colors like this.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » September 12th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Any of the colors from the Angelus chart close?

http://www.caningshop.com/Merchant2/mer ... de=GRD-A2a

You could also do a little mixing to make colors a little lighter/darker.

BTW, I have used the dye but not the paint... Is the color on the glove you have dyed in or painted?
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration