Where to get real glove padding and what is it really?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Where to get real glove padding and what is it really?

Postby dapert » July 16th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Got a few gloves that I took apart for my kids so I could add some padding to the palm. I was surpried to see that there was zero padding in the palm at all. I ended up cutting a circle out of some mouse pads and it worked pretty well but it got me thinking about the regular padding that's in the heel etc.

What exactly is that stuff and where can you get it? I've done a google seach and came up empty. I've seen some suggestions here about using carpet padding etc but assume the stuff in a glove is different.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Padding

Postby GoldGlove » July 16th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Its almost like thick dense felt...
GoldGlove
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 17th, 2008, 10:14 am

I've never taken a glove apart so I have never seen the padding or the felt. However, GoldGlove's description as... "almost like thick dense felt" got me to thinking that the felt liners from your winter pack boots might do the trick. (If you live north of Ohio you probably know what I am taking about.) They can be trimmed easily and come in different thicknesses. Occasionally you can find the odd sizes pretty cheap.

Anyone who knows, is this close?
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » July 17th, 2008, 2:28 pm

That's awesome because I think it is fairly similar. Calgary doesn't have many gloves but there are boots everywhere. I'll hit every yard sale I see and create a stockpile of boot lining.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Musashi » July 17th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Having just recently taken apart an old glove, the only thing that kept me from responding to this was that I couldn't for the life of me come up with the right comparison. But candlestick NAILED it - glove padding is exactly the same consistency and density of winter boot lining! Even the color is dead on.
Musashi
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » July 17th, 2008, 2:36 pm

I wonder how many odd looks I'll get at yard sales when I give them a few buck for their boots then yank the liner out and toss the rest in the trash.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Chicago Red Sox Fan » July 17th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Based on the way my old boot liners honk :shock: I'd spring for a new pair before putting the material inside a nice glove!
Chicago Red Sox Fan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » July 17th, 2008, 3:47 pm

shoot go to a salvage yard and pull up the mat in the trunk most are lined with 3/4 felt , originally the felt was made from the sweepings in a garment factory that is compressed with a small touch of glue to hold together. I use two part pads a 3/8 and a 3/16 stitched together the thin on is fairly stiff and made of a poly propolene materal but semi holds the shape you decided to break it in. the materials are a bit more complcated than my short answer but the 3/8 is all felt ,glue content decides the stiffness I want.
Docglov
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » July 17th, 2008, 9:55 pm

docglov wrote: the materials are a bit more complcated than my short answer but the 3/8 is all felt ,glue content decides the stiffness I want.

Is that contact cement?
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » July 17th, 2008, 11:51 pm

I think doc is on to something....I've been looking at some jute automotive carpet padding and it looks like it should work very well
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » July 18th, 2008, 6:14 am

You can buy different thicknesses of felt for repadding, but I found that felt carpet padding works great. Just ask a local carpet store for scraps. Just make sure you don't ask for rubber carpet padding.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » July 18th, 2008, 7:45 am

just keep the glue equals stiffness info from your wife or you may be wearing a sheet stuck to ya when you wake up. heheh ( bad joke I know but shoot I feel good today!!!!
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » July 18th, 2008, 2:14 pm

For those who didn't know - and I only found out a few months ago - here is what the padding becomes after many long years of play:

These are the innards of my Rawlings catcher's mitt RCM50T before I entirely relaced and repadded it. Here is the material I used. It's felt all right:

I got it from wbunnell, another forum member. He got it from a felt supplier in the US. Here is what the whole thing looked like before I put it back into the glove shell:

I hope this helps.
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » July 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm

wow nice work...looks really good
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » July 19th, 2008, 10:27 am

good job. todays Catchers Mitts have a Polypropolene basepad. probably in a white color. you can't wear this out but it never gets as broken in very well either. now days I relace compelete mitt faces instead of pads as old days doing one for seattle monday. have already did the face for St. Louis catcher. leather weaker pad stronger I guess
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration