Replacement Patches

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Replacement Patches

Postby robin_buckeye » October 19th, 2007, 11:58 am

Anyone know a source?

I have a split-finger Ival Goodman, made by Hutch of Cincinnati. The label on this mitt is torn loose on three sides and I'd like to get a replacement. I'm thinking that I can prepare a graphic file of the patch and have one custom made by an embroidery place. I've done this in the past with some other things. On that topic, my patch is in pretty poor shape, does anyone have a pristine patch that they could send a photograph of to me?
Mine is pale yellow with black letters:
Hutch
Cincinnati, Ohio
Made in USA
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » October 19th, 2007, 1:10 pm

If the patch is worn out, the glove is probably not pristine, a spanking new patch would stick out too much. Keep an eye open on ebay for a donor glove. You could probably find a beater with a good patch for short money.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » October 19th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Yes, I thought about the incongruity factor. I planned to use a pristine patch for the design model, but match the colors of my wornout patch. How do you think that would look?
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » October 19th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Interesting idea. Not the route I would go but I'm interested nonetheless. It would be great, though probably not profitable, for someone to make high quality reproduction patches for some of the obsolete brands. I'd go for the donor but that's me, I like the original vintage aspect. If you decide to get one made please be sure to post a photo. Either way, good luck.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration