Before & After....Reach 1" web

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Before & After....Reach 1" web

Postby Bravosin99 » October 14th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Dad and I recently purchased this Reach 1" web and many we spoke to thought it might have been a white glove but it turned out not to be and was just very dry....Although it did turn out very nice...The front was very soiled but cleaned up nice and now the Reach logo, patent date, and some wording is visible....First we used fast orange which we learned from all of you, then the glove was conditioned with Wilson Pro Stock....Thanks for all the advice with the fast orange.. Here are the before and after pics
BEFORE:
[img][img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/Bravosin99/reachglove.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/Bravosin99/reachglove2.jpg[/img][/img]
AFTER:
[img][img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb17/Bravosin99/Copyofglovestuff004.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

How did you do it?

Postby robin_buckeye » October 14th, 2007, 7:33 pm

I'd be really interested in a step by step description of how you restored this mitt.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

steps

Postby Bravosin99 » October 14th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Robin Buckeye-

First we used the fast orange...We use old t-shirts you can also use rags etc. to apply the fast orange....Dampen the cloth a very little and dip the rag in the fast orange, little amounts at a time(Use two fingers wrapped in the shirt while rubbing works the best)...Little areas at a time....You have to decide what is to hard when rubbing...If the glove is brittle I wouldn't suggest rubbing too hard....The leather was high quality on this one which made it easier...After you see results (dirt coming off) let the glove dry....

After the glove was dry we used Wilson Pro Stock glove conditioner on the leather because it was still very dry....I went over the glove two times with the conditioner because the leather soaked it up so well....Same thing with this use little amounts rubbing gently...Don't put to much on where there starts to become access or it will make the glove look greasy...Make sure you rub it in good into the leather....Make sure to get the piping and in between the fingers if possible helps with the over all look...

There are many other products to use for the conditioning step but we use the Wilson Pro Stock......We have always had amazing results with it and it never leaves the glove looking greasy....
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » October 14th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Josh, A great job on the Reach glove. That is a very nice old timer with some great quality to it. :D

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Ival Goodman

Postby robin_buckeye » October 15th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Bravosin99
Thanks for the info. I recently got a splitfinger Ival Goodman that needs some work. Goodman was my Dad's favorite player when he was boy and I'm going to give him this glove for Christmas, so I want it to look great.
On that topic, the label on this mitt is torn loose on three sides. My instinct is to just leave it alone, but does anyone have suggestions as to how I might non-destructively reattach it?
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration