Pet Peeve

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Pet Peeve

Postby wareagle34 » August 22nd, 2007, 7:40 am

This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone else found this a problem. When you get a vintage glove from someone who has relaced the glove either all or part, the person who relaced it did not take the time to age the laces. I've gotten alot of vintage gloves that I have had to go back and replace the new laces, with new laces that I have aged to look like the original laces. This complaint is only for the vintage gloves for display. To all you guys out there who recondition gloves as a service please take the time to try age the laces to match the original. It takes more time but it is visual effect makes for a more satisfied customer. Thanks

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » August 22nd, 2007, 8:32 am

Perhaps you can follow up with your lace aging technique...maybe in the restoration section? When I sell a vintage glove that needs obvious repair I'll use the dark brown Triple C laces that usually match up pretty well.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wareagle34 » August 22nd, 2007, 9:26 am

My apologies to Brett. I thought I was posting this in the General Discussion section. That is what I get for getting on my computer at 5:00am without the first cup. I know mistakes like this is probably one of his pet peeves, but maybe he can move it to the right section. Anyway, yes I will post my techniques in the restoration section. Thanks.

WAR EAGLE!
wareagle34
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 22nd, 2007, 11:54 am

Some general musings on glove laces:

- If selling a glove that I've relaced, I always try to let the buyer know that.

- When relacing only a potion of the glove, I try to match the other laces as closely as possible.

- I suppose that an old glove with the original laces is more desirable, and you can usually make a pretty good guess if the laces are original or not. But how can you really know for certain? Who's to say that old glove you just aquired wasn't redone by some aspiring glove doctor anywhere during the fifty of sixty years before it came into your possession?

- When setting a value for an old glove, how much does having (what is thought to be) the original laces weigh in to the equation? While I suppose all-original is better, I liken this to a vintage car that has been restored and no longer has the original tires. Laces, like tires, are somewhat of a "maintenance" item, routinely replaced when worn out to keep the glove in service.

- I love the look of the Triple-C dark brown laces. But when I received their sales brochure, the smallest bundles offered on their price list was for 100 laces. Has anyone ever contacted them in regards to purchasing laces in smaller quantities and, if so, how did that work?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » August 22nd, 2007, 9:36 pm

Triple C will sell laces in bundles of 50, atleast they have to me. I have had an account with them for many years and buy a number of bundles each year. I would just call and ask - nothing to lose. If you have to buy 100 laces just buy the 100 and split them with a fellow glover. :D
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration