Stiff Finger Syndrome

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Stiff Finger Syndrome

Postby Brewers1913 » July 4th, 2006, 6:49 am

I just picked up an old Eddie Joost model glove, circa late 1940's, which is in good shape (using the term loosely) but the fingers inside the glove are stiff as a board. I generally use Glove Stuff® for leather softening but I'm thinking the glove got soaking wet at some point and may have remained wet for some time, although there are no indications of mildew or water stains. I thought about simply soaking the fingers in the Glove Stuff but this stuff is a bit expensive. Should I just keep "working" the glove and fingers and applying the Glove Stuff on the outside, or do I need to do something more radical?
I publish the American Association Almanac, a baseball history journal.
Brewers1913
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 4th, 2006, 8:16 pm

I've used something called "Leather CPR" with some success on stiff leather. I think you can only get it at Restoration Hardware but do a web search and see what you come up with. I was attracted to the product because it has lanolin in it. I've used it on a couple of gloves and it's done some good.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration