Will Bag Balm work?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Will Bag Balm work?

Postby toad » July 14th, 2007, 8:27 pm

What aboout Bag Balm? Will in wok for gloves? It had Lanolin in it.
I found it at Walgeens. Will it do the job on my XPG3-H. And will it soften my new HPG-3?
(':?:')
toad
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » July 14th, 2007, 10:38 pm

I've tried it and would describe the results as about the same as using petroleum jelly. In fact, the ingredients on the tin say it has a "petrolatum, lanolin base". The only other ingredient listed is "B-Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate- whatever the heck that is (and I wonder if it's good for leather?).

Similar products are "Udder Butter" and "Udderly Smooth". They do an okay job. The only reason I don't use them is that I like the results of straight lanolin or Lexol a lot better. And some of them smell kind of funky. But they'll do in a pinch.

Whenever I wanted to try something new, I'd find an old, beater glove that I didn't care if it got messed up or not. Give it a shot and see how you like it!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby toad » July 14th, 2007, 10:53 pm

Thanks Bret,
I was hoping to hear back with you before I went out for a while.

I think I'd do best by getting some straight lanloin or Lexol,if I can find them. I have some mink oil but I after reading as much as I have on your site,I don't think I want to use it. It really does not soften very well.

Hope to post some photos of my gloves tomorrow.
Todd :)
toad
Veteran Glove Poster

Glove Conditioning

Postby GloveGypsy » August 3rd, 2007, 9:58 am

Fred L. uses hydrous lanolin and I have to agree, it is the best. It leaves the leather soft, yet not greasy.

I have had success with a product called "Hoofmaker" and until this time about a year ago, the nearby Walgreens stocked it. If any of you guys knows a retail outlet for this product, let me know.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 3rd, 2007, 10:19 am

Is there a "PetSmart" chain store near you? I was surprised to find the one near me has an "equine" section (horse stuff) with all sorts of hoof conditioners and leather threatments for saddles. They also carry Lexol products.

I'm lucky to have another store a few minutes away that is a leather crafting supply store. They carry everything in the Tandy catalog and have an entire aisle of nothing but leather cleaners, conditioners, dyes and polishes, as well as about any possible leatherworking tool.

Unfortunately, the lacing they carry isn't near as good as some of the ones you can get from Tanner's, Rawlings, etc.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveGypsy » August 3rd, 2007, 1:39 pm

Thank You, Bretman.

There is a PetSmart near me. I will stop there next time I go that way.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration