preserving autographs

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

preserving autographs

Postby mittmutt » July 10th, 2007, 1:14 am

Now this is a switch. I have a glove that I purchased from a fellow collector a while back that has been autographed by several players in green ink. I'd actually like to keep the ink on this one. I'm wondering if there is a way to enhance and preserve these aotugraphs? It is a Spalding 42-2751 Sal Bando with autographs by Cal Ripkin Jr, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson and Eddie Murray. Thanks for any help.
mittmutt
Veteran Glove Poster

signatures on gloves.

Postby jackwhale » July 28th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Same experience with green ink.
In 1990 Mark McGwire signed the back of my 1B mitt in green permanent marker. A few years later the ink had diffused into the leather and was barely legible. I'm the only one today who can make out 'Gold Glove 1990'

Willie Stargell signed another glove in black marker and his signature is still visible...it just looks dull
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Autographed Baseball

Postby robin_buckeye » July 29th, 2007, 4:14 pm

I have the same problem with an autographed baseball I have from 1974. The ink (looks like it was probably blue ballpoint) has faded so badly that it can barely be made out. I have stored it in a drawer, out of any light for some time now but it still seems to be fading. I would very much appreciate any tips on how to maintain and/or restore this.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration