Repairing hole in Palm of lining

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Repairing hole in Palm of lining

Postby MattyOrioles » December 21st, 2016, 11:16 pm

Can anyone provide some advice for applying a large patch of vintage leather to replace hoke in lining?
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Repairing hole in Palm of lining

Postby mikesglove » December 22nd, 2016, 2:11 pm

You could glue a backing fabric material to the underside of the liner covering the hole, using something like a cotton duck or other sturdy fabric. I use contact cement to glue. Best to read the manufacturers directions and use in a well ventilated area. It's stinky which generally means unfriendly organic vapors. Then cut a piece of leather to fit in the hole and gluing in with the contact cement. This way the surface of the liner comes out flush. If you don't have a stash of vintage leather scraps, I could mail you a few. This is not a hard job if the heel can be unlaced to gain access. If the heel is sewn, it is more difficult but not impossible. You would need some angled dental tools available at most flea markets and places like Harbor Freight.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » December 26th, 2016, 11:31 am

Hey Mike...thanks for the info. I'll post a picture of my project a little later for some additional pointers.
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » December 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I was going to use Shoe Goo...I think I read somewhere on here that works fairly well.
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » January 1st, 2017, 9:12 pm

Mike, do you use vintage leather cut from other gloves?
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » January 2nd, 2017, 12:03 am

Heres my Doak liner project...As you can see the liner is blown out...how would you tackle this replacement? Thanks!
Attachments
20170101_225140-756x1008.jpg
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » January 2nd, 2017, 1:33 am

The damage to the liner is pretty severe. I don't think it is worth saving. Best to find a donor glove and replace the liner completely. It is a big job. You would have to really like the glove or want the practice. The piping looks in good shape so I would not touch that at all. You would have to leave a remnant of the old liner intact and overlap and glue the new liner to it. I haven't used Shoe Goo. I thinks some collectors on the forum have reported good results with it. It also has pretty harmful vapors so best to read the manufacturers warnings and only use in a well ventilated area.
mikesglove

Postby MattyOrioles » January 3rd, 2017, 2:45 pm

Lol...yeah, it is pretty bad. Let's see, I do like the glove, it's my only original Doak, the leather is in great shape as well as the piping and the patches can be cleaned up and are both there...Those are the main reasons I want to keep it. Also has some provenance. it belonged to a guy that played for Penn State in the 20's. Kind of a cool story.

I also would like the practice...

So should I get the duck cloth and place in inside and glue the original lining tattered pieces to it as best I can, then glue the patch (donor liner) into the remaining hole(s) and areas where the duck cloth is showing through?
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » January 4th, 2017, 12:16 am

Yeah, if you don't want to take out the complete old liner and finger stalls and replace it with another complete liner then gluing a backing material and piecing it together is an option.
mikesglove

Postby MattyOrioles » January 5th, 2017, 5:19 pm

On a sewn liner like this one...how would you replace the whole thing? Do you re-sew the new liner into glove or just glue it?
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » January 6th, 2017, 1:13 pm

There are two ways to do it. You could leave the piping alone and cut out the old liner leaving a little tail of liner intact as something to glue the new liner in place. Or the hard, hard way of partially undoing the piping stitching, removing the old liner and integrating a new liner with the piping by glue.
mikesglove

Postby MattyOrioles » January 24th, 2017, 3:10 pm

mikesglove wrote:You could glue a backing fabric material to the underside of the liner covering the hole, using something like a cotton duck or other sturdy fabric. I use contact cement to glue. Best to read the manufacturers directions and use in a well ventilated area. It's stinky which generally means unfriendly organic vapors. Then cut a piece of leather to fit in the hole and gluing in with the contact cement. This way the surface of the liner comes out flush. If you don't have a stash of vintage leather scraps, I could mail you a few. This is not a hard job if the heel can be unlaced to gain access. If the heel is sewn, it is more difficult but not impossible. You would need some angled dental tools available at most flea markets and places like Harbor Freight.

What size duck cloth do you use? I'm looking at the medium to heavy weight brown...was going to order 1 yard worth of material. This sound reasonable? Thanks for the help.
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » January 24th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Choose the lighter weight canvas. The heavier it is the more likely you'll end up with a hard spot on the palm. 1 yard will be more than enough. If you have a Joann or other fabric store close to home you can pull it off the shelf. They'll cut you whatever you need, 1/3 of a yard should be plenty for you to test multiple times before you glue it in.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby MattyOrioles » January 25th, 2017, 9:50 am

Number9 wrote:Choose the lighter weight canvas. The heavier it is the more likely you'll end up with a hard spot on the palm. 1 yard will be more than enough. If you have a Joann or other fabric store close to home you can pull it off the shelf. They'll cut you whatever you need, 1/3 of a yard should be plenty for you to test multiple times before you glue it in.

Thanks Number9 for the help! Will use the lighter weight.
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MattyOrioles » January 28th, 2017, 3:53 pm

So from a post earlier, Rickybulldog showed a pristine Doak with an almost white liner...any leads for vintage wgite leather?
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration