How to give a glove that old-style tobacco color?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

How to give a glove that old-style tobacco color?

Postby robw » July 15th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Hi all...new to the forum and to glove restoration...wondering the best way and products to use in order to give a glove that vintage look and tobacco color? Is it a matter of applying the appropriate leather dye or a particular oil? Any recommendations? I have been using a combo if Leather Honey and Nokona's glove conditioner to condition the leather. Thanks!

RobW
robw

Re: How to give a glove that old-style tobacco color?

Postby mikesglove » July 16th, 2013, 4:26 am

I don't like the manufactured leather dyes. The "glovester" has some clever natural ways to age lacing such as coffee, tea and walnut hulls soaked in water. Contact him and he probably has others. For the glove itself, I recommend buying some Sennelier chalk pastels from a local art store. These are artist grade and very intense. Select a few sticks that are in the range of the glove color. Scrape a little of the pastel off into a powder and mix with your conditioner. Remember these are intense pigments and you don't need much. Don't try an extreme color change, it will be a disaster. You can definitely mellow the leather color or change the tint slightly to a warm or cooler color scheme. Start in an inconspicuous place on the glove with a color that is close and work from that. Sennelier brand are best because the range of earth tones is in the dozens. They are about $3.50 a stick.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: How to give a glove that old-style tobacco color?

Postby robw » July 16th, 2013, 7:38 am

Thanks....will check it out!

RobW
robw

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration