Liquid Lanolin vs Lanolin Cream

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Liquid Lanolin vs Lanolin Cream

Postby ambrizt » May 2nd, 2013, 12:16 pm

Hello All. Maybe you can help me out. I recently discovered and joined this Vintage Baseball Glove Forum and I'm glad I did. Over the past few weeks I've been reading all sorts of great info/insight/suggestions/advice on this forum. However, there is still one topic I haven't seen posted yet and it has to do with Liquid Lanolin vs. Lanolin Cream/Lansinoh. I've read all about the benefits of Lanolin Cream/Lansinoh, and in fact, I recently bought a tube of Lansinoh from Target, but I haven't read anything from anyone about Liquid Lanolin.

So, here goes my question: Has anyone had any success with Liquid Lanolin?

The bottle I have is 4 fl. oz. (118 mL.), it's by a company called Home Health, and the label says Liquid Lanolin, Pure Emolient Oil. Underneath that, that label shows five bullet points. * Excellent Moisturizer * Soothes and softens the skin * Promotes the natural beauty of healthy skin * 100% natural * Paraben-free. The back of the label says Ingredient: Lanolin Oil.

I bought it at my local Whole Foods in Pasadena, CA. When I was calling around to different stores looking for 100% pure lanolin, the only store that carried it was Whole Foods, so I excitedly rushed on over only to find this liquid stuff instead of the lanolin cream I was expecting. So, once again, has anyone had any experience with the Lanolin Oil as opposed to the cream? Any info/insight you can provide will be much appreciated.

Tony
Los Angeles, CA
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Liquid Lanolin vs Lanolin Cream

Postby mikesglove » May 3rd, 2013, 2:44 pm

In the search window of the Glove Conditioning & Restoration section type in lanolin and you will find a lot of great info.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 3rd, 2013, 6:33 pm

I'm sure the oil would be OK but I would be careful using it as it may darken the leather. Use a small amount and work it into a glove that you can practice on. Check to see how it dries, etc.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » May 3rd, 2013, 9:05 pm

The only difference between the cream and the oil is the consistency. Some creams may have an additive that is used to emulsify the oil, but I'm pretty sure it's usually water. I've used both and they're not my go-to. Personally, I don't like the stickiness after the application, but that's a personal call. Other than that issue, as long as you're using light coats, you should be fine.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby ebbets55 » May 5th, 2013, 11:30 am

I'm with William. I've tried lanolin on gloves and don't particularly care for it. Not my go-to either.

JD
ebbets55

Postby ambrizt » May 7th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the insight. :D
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration