Rawlings OR519 Cal Ripken Jr. Restoration Project

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Rawlings OR519 Cal Ripken Jr. Restoration Project

Postby bbrah » April 14th, 2013, 9:00 pm

It's been a while since I posted (because I haven't restored a glove in a while). The weather's been so nice lately I decided to enjoy it outside and work on a glove.

A friend of mine who played fast-pitch softball when she was in college recently began teaching her 8-year-old daughter the sport. She dug out her old glove and realized that it was in pretty sad shape. Rather than see her buy a new glove, I insisted that she allow me to restore her original glove. Here is a photobucket album of the restoration project. Basically I put new edge tape (I used pigskin rather than plastic as the glove originally came), new liner (glove-tanned deerskin), new finger loops and straps, and relaced with new laces. The album is a bit light on the actual in-process shots, as I didn't take the photos to document it per se, rather I took the photos to help me remember the lacing pattern. In any case, enjoy the before and after photos.

http://s279.photobucket.com/user/bbrah/ ... ken?sort=9

Regards,

-BRAH
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings OR519 Cal Ripken Jr. Restoration Project

Postby mikesglove » April 14th, 2013, 10:48 pm

A worthy project and skillfully done!
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings OR519 Cal Ripken Jr. Restoration Project

Postby bbrah » April 15th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Thanks.

Some of my stitch lines weren't as straight as I would have liked, but my sewing machine was giving me fits, so it is what it is.

-BRAH
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration