Attempt to clean a white glove before/after photos

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Attempt to clean a white glove before/after photos

Postby drasher81 » May 17th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I decided to make an attempt to clean up a beater glove to test the the different suggestions on cleaning a white leather glove. As you can see I was successful and amazed with the results. The thing that seemed to work the best I found was the artists eraser which although somewhat abrasive did not damage the leather, rather it cleaned almost all of the grime from this old D&M away leaving a great looking glove which will display very well.

drasher81

Nice job, Drasher

Postby Mike**Mize » May 17th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Looks nice, Drasher. One thing I've done with wrist straps in similar condition is to find a piece of very thin horsehide and cut it out to fit the rectangle you'll want to pull together. Clearly, it's got to be cut smaller than the width of the whole strap by about 1/4" or so and centered so that it doesn't scream out "REPAIR!". You can even cut the buttonhole. Then use Barges glue applied to both surfaces (the surface of the cut out and the inside surface of the strap). If you cut it right it won't detract from the look of the strap. In fact you'll have to flip it to see it. The reinforsed strap will hold up over time and make it a lot more satisfying as a piece.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » May 17th, 2007, 6:25 pm

A few eraser types were mentioned in the earlier thread regarding the cleaning of white gloves. What type did you end up using?
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

what's called a kneaeded erasure

Postby Mike**Mize » May 17th, 2007, 7:17 pm

I got sandwiched in between Drasher and your question. The one i would suggest is least abrasive and good at picking up grease is called a kneaded erasure. I use it both for gloves and drawing. It's a putty-like erasure that softly sticks to and lifts grease or charcoal. You clean it by pulling it apart and sticking it back together.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » May 18th, 2007, 8:20 am

Drasher, thanks for making the effort on this one. The glove looks great. I've had a Spalding that I am pretty sure is white underneath all of the grime, but have been afraid to touch because it is in great shape otherwise. I'm on vacation but as soon as I get home I'm giving this a shot. I'll post pics if it works.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » May 24th, 2007, 5:53 pm

I bought the knead eraser and am having no luck. It just seems to drag along the glove. Any advice?
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration