Glove Laces Question

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Glove Laces Question

Postby BretMan » June 1st, 2006, 12:22 am

I hope that I'm not infringing on anyone's "trade secrets", but do have a question about glove laces.

Specifically, can anyone suggest any sources for purchasing laces in bulk quantities and in a variety of colors?

Besides the usual tan and black, I am particularly interested in finding chocolate brown laces that match what was used in many vintage gloves, such as the typical 50's or 60's Rawlings models.

I live in a large metropolitan area with plenty of sporting goods stores around, so I can always find "singles" when I need them. But the colors are limited and the cost is usually a bit higher.

Any and all suggestions on glove laces are appreciated!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Source for laces

Postby crackofthebat » June 1st, 2006, 6:47 am

I purchase my laces from:
Triple C Leather Co.,Inc.
4209 Orange Cemetery Road
Morgantown, KY 42261
1-800-624-7642
1-502-526-3835
If you call them they have a leather lace sample card they will send you containing all the different color laces they have. All laces are cut to order. In the alum tanned leather, which I would recommend for glove lacing, I really like the Cougar Oil Tanned Alum (#50). The Chocolate Alum (#62) works well on older gloves. Make sure you tell them to shave the laces to 3 to 4 ounces otherwise they will send you thick laces. They are nice people to deal with and you will usually get your order in a weeks time. I think the minimum order is 50 laces of any one color. but I usually order in quantities of 100 laces. They will cut to any length, but I usually buy the 72 inch laces.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » June 1st, 2006, 1:32 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I'm familiar with Triple C from their reference in the book "Glove Affairs", but have never ordered anything from them.
BretMan

Postby BretMan » June 21st, 2006, 11:57 pm

Okay- another lace question.

Does anyone have any experience with Tanners?

I'm currently getting ready to re-lace a black Rawlings HOH Trap-Eze glove for a friend (it's his "gamer") and he wants it done in all red lacing.

Tanners seems to have a good selection of colors and sizes, but I'm curious about their pricing, shipping and service.
BretMan

Postby V-Anchored » December 30th, 2006, 11:23 am

and another lace question. Does anyone have a source for thinner laces to be used for the palm lacing. Also what do you use for the finger hole on a Rawlings fastback glove? Thanks.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » December 31st, 2006, 12:46 am

BretMan wrote:Okay- another lace question.

Does anyone have any experience with Tanners?

I'm currently getting ready to re-lace a black Rawlings HOH Trap-Eze glove for a friend (it's his "gamer") and he wants it done in all red lacing.

Tanners seems to have a good selection of colors and sizes, but I'm curious about their pricing, shipping and service.

Tanners has been great to work with, they offer a quality product, and have small minimum's. They have also done custom color runs for me (min's apply). I should have plenty of red lace in stock, if you are just looking to relace this glove.

Mike
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » January 1st, 2007, 2:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mike!

After I posted that question about Tanner's back awhile ago, I contacted them and set up an account. My first order was for 100 laces in a combination of sizes and colors.

I would also recommend them to anyone else looking to buy laces in bulk. Their prices are reasonable and the laces are excellent quality! I much prefer these laces to the Rawlings Heart of the Hide singles that I was buying at a local sporting goods store. And the cost is roughly 1/4 that of the sporting goods store laces when you buy them in bulk.

Their laces are perfect for restoring "modern" gloves and gloves that are being actively used. The only drawback is that they don't offer any laces that match the older "vintage" gloves that so many of us collect.

By the way, the guy whose glove I was going to re-do with all red laces just got the glove to me this week! He didn't want to "change anything" on his beloved gamer glove during the season (which, with fall ball included, actually lasted until the first week of November in these parts) and this was the first chance we had to hook-up.

He'll be good to go when the season starts again in a few months!
BretMan

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration