Ink Removal

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Ink Removal

Postby catcher#5 » June 7th, 2012, 3:50 pm

After reading archived posts about ink removal, are there any newer suggestions out there on how to remove the ink on a 60's vintage glove; Rawlings HOH leather?
catcher#5
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Ink Removal

Postby mikesglove » June 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I would say if the marks are in Sharpie then it will be super difficult to remove since the ink is like a stain. Ball point and paint are more superficial and somewhat easier but very time consuming. I have used a waterless hand cleaner with fine pumice and had some success. One thing to remember is the pumice hand cleaner is grinding away at the leather little by little so one needs to be careful. I have applied the cleaner then worked it into the ink with the edge of my fingernail. Success also depends on the type and quality of the leather. Your HOH leather should hold up to the cleaning.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » June 12th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Here is a web site for a product called "Ink-Away". I have never used it although their other product "Hide Bracer" is a really good conditioner. http://www.hidebracer.com
mikesglove

Postby Number9 » June 12th, 2012, 5:16 pm

I just checked out Ink-Away on the link and the product description states that it should not be used on unfinished leathers. That applies to just about every baseball glove. I'm sure it works wonders on upholstery leather and shoes, but I'd caution against using it on a glove.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration