Cleaning the fabric tag (Trying to restore a Nokona)

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Cleaning the fabric tag (Trying to restore a Nokona)

Postby robert1977 » December 21st, 2011, 12:42 am

I got a split-finger Nokona glove that's pretty dirty, but I bought it for $20 and I figure that's a good price. I've heard how wonderful the Nokona leather is, and I'd love it if I could bring back that quality. It's my first Nokona, so I'm pretty excited.

A few questions:

1. The tag is pretty dirty. How do I clean that? I've seen some folks mention that they've used Q-tips. Should I do that? If I do, should I only use water, or should I mix the water with some kind of soap?

2. There's lots of grime in the usual places. Should I use saddle soap on those parts? Does anyone recommend something else? What about regular, old water and a toothbrush? That kind of freaks me out, but I'll do whatever you guys tell me. :D

Thanks, as always.

Robert
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Cleaning the fabric tag (Trying to restore a Nokona)

Postby okdoak » December 21st, 2011, 5:53 pm

I've had good results using a few drops of Woolite and warm water on an old, soft toothbrush. Go lightly at first especially if the tag is worn or frayed. If it's solid, I will go over it a few times until the grime is gone and use a hair dryer on low setting to dry it. I've read other posts by glovers who have had good results just using plain water, Q-tips, etc. As far as cleaning and conditioning the leather goes, everyone has their own favorite method and it seems that collectively we've tried everything imaginable. If you check thru the older posts on this board, you'll probably find a method that sounds reasonable. Along with a few others. :wink: Good luck (and go gently) especially on the tag.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Cleaning the fabric tag (Trying to restore a Nokona)

Postby robert1977 » January 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

@okdoak:

Thank you so much for your advice. I cleaned up the patch yesterday, and it looks great.
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration