Clean Freak

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Clean Freak

Postby Rickybulldog » November 22nd, 2011, 7:54 pm

I'm sure everyone has their own methods and certain products that you use, but what's your favorite part about cleaning/restoring a glove?

-Tag cleaning
- button cleaning
- liner cleaning
-in between the fingers
- the fingers
- the whole glove
- relacing
- green grommet removal
- bringing out a signature
- other

I absolutely love cleaning buttons and cleaning this particular section of a glove (see photo). No clue why, but I find great satisfaction in doing this. My name is Rickybulldog and I'm a glove addict.
clean.jpg
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Clean Freak

Postby Kenny Wel » November 23rd, 2011, 9:01 am

No favorite part for me. I just like to handle the glove and watch it transform in my hands.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Clean Freak

Postby okdoak » November 25th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Rickybulldog wrote: My name is Rickybulldog and I'm a glove addict.

Welcome, Ricky. You'll find that you're among friends here. Have some coffee? :)
I can go with "all of the above" on your cleaning list. Cleaning a glove is one of my favorite ways to relax. I'm to the point where I occasionally buy one just to clean it. The only part that vexes me is trying to condition it without making the leather too dark after it's been cleaned. I go a little easier on cleaning the buttons these days. As much as I like seeing them shine like they were brand new, I prefer them to match the condition of the rest of the glove now. Of course, bringing out the stampings and signature is always the frosting on the cake. And turning a glove that had the texture of a wooden door stop into nice supple leather is very satisfying.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration