Lacing thoughts

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lacing thoughts

Postby Bill247 » November 15th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I'm about to start a relace job on theweb of a Wilson A2022, a two finger lefty. Not a great glove, but the two finger models are unusual and other that the laces in the web, this one is in good shape. Each section of the web has its' own lace, so I don't need an extra long lace to do the job in one piece. I have enough vintage laces to complete the job,but each piece is a different color with different age- related defects. Exactly why I'd use the older laces. Now the question: should I use a new piece of lace so all the exposed places are the same, or the vintage, more authentic laces that will all be different from each other and different from the finger and pocket laces ? Is there a general rule out there ? Thanks
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Lacing thoughts

Postby Kenny Wel » November 15th, 2011, 9:59 pm

I understand wanting to use vintage lacing, but if the lacing is not going to be consistent, I would rather have new lacing all the same as to not detract from the look. But that may just be me.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » November 15th, 2011, 10:16 pm

It's pretty much a matter of personal preference. What I have done before is use "salvaged" laces from gloves I've relaced, but before using them I've dyed them to match the existing laces. After they dry, I give them a good coat of petroleum jelly or leather conditioner and they look pretty good.

These aren't the best pictures in the word since I took them with my cell phone. But I recently replaced all of the laces in this Nokona BM81 mitt with laces salvaged from othe gloves. I relace a lot of gloves, so I have a huge supply of used laces. I think that these laces came out of a three or four year old Nokona catcher's mitt. I wanted to replace the original laces, which were trashed, with something that retained the original vintage look.

Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » November 22nd, 2011, 5:29 pm

Yea, I, too, have a rather large supply of salvage lace that I use on small to medium repairs. It often takes me longer to choose which lace to use then doing the actual repair itself. The problem I've had with salvage lace is the sometimes it breaks 3/4 into the project, which has the potential to send me off into a temper tantrum.

I use a lot of new lace on complete relace projects, but I only use thinner darker lace for older repairs. Finding thin dark lace has been a continuous quest for me over the years. I even resort to rolling it with a rolling pin to make it thinner, and roughing it up a little so that it doesn't look new.

Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Bill247 » January 23rd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas, y'all. It took a little longer to get to the project than anticipated. I went with new laces since the salvaged ones did not match and, as y'all know, the old worn spots never match up with the right openiings on the glove as well. I also relaced a Wilson A 2170 and was pleased. I sent pictures to JD for his gallery so they'll be there for your viewing pleasure. I welcome your comments. Bill
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration