Patch??

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Patch??

Postby chippalini » September 7th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I just received a Hutch Model 145 "oven mitt" first base mitt. It is cleaning up very nicely--it has bold stampings and looks like it has had little use under the layers of filth. The only problem is the liner inside. It has a pretty large hole that has the padding exposed. I have seen the adhesive backed patches online, but have not used one. Is this my best option, or does someone have another suggestion? Thanks.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Patch??

Postby BretMan » September 7th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Of course, one option is a total liner replacement- not exactly a do-it-yourself project! But it can be done and there are guys that will do it for you (for a hundred bucks).

As far as patching it yourself...I have patched holes like this. If you can find a source for raw leather, you can make your own patch, cut to fit whatever size or shape you need. There are adhesives made for cloth and leather that remain flexible after drying. One I have been using lately is "Shoe Goo" (you can get a huge tube for $4.00 at Walmart in their shoe department). This stuff creates an essentially permanent bond. Before using it on a glove, I tested it on two strips of leather, overlapping them about an inch. After only one hour of drying (the instructions say maximun strength is acheived in 24 hours) I simply could not pull the two strips apart.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » September 7th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. Since I paid 9 bucks for the mitt, the 100 dollar option isn't great. I will try the patch option.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 8th, 2011, 3:33 am

You could make a backing out of raw canvas or thin leather to be glued under the liner and overlapping the hole. If you have a donor glove or mitt around, cut a piece of leather to fit the hole as close as possible and glue to the canvas/leather backing. This way when it is all said and done the patch will be flush with the liner and not feel so noticeable. I use contact cement because it dries in a couple of minutes and it is also a permanent bond. To bond correctly, both parts have to be applied with the cement and allowed to get tacky for a couple of minutes before joining the pieces together. The Wilsonart 600 is good but I suggest use in a ventilated area since it has unfriendly chemicals in it.
mikesglove

Postby chippalini » September 8th, 2011, 3:21 pm

I bought a section of leather at Tandy that is about the same thickness of the current liner. I was thinking that maybe I should make the patch bigger to try to make it more comfortable to wear. Thoughts? Suggestions?
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 8th, 2011, 9:05 pm

That's custom work you're doing there! Every glove is different and not all damage is created equally. It depends on the glove and what you're trying to achieve.

I've done repairs like this different ways. Some I've patched from right on top of the lining (usually if the damage is up inside a finger stall and hard to get to), some from underneath, some with larger patches to reinforce a larger area, some with smaller patches so that the patch is less noticable.

My suggestion would be to think about the final look you want to get and how the patch might best fit and feel, then "test fit" your patch carefully before trying to glue it in. Once you get the glue in there...you're pretty much "stuck" with what you have!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby chippalini » September 8th, 2011, 10:35 pm

It is a pretty big hole, so it is gonna be noticeable--I won't be able to get around that. The one thing I have in my favor is that it is a first base mitt, and therefore I don't really have finger stalls to worry about. I wouldn't have thought about trying this except the rest of the glove is in really nice shape. I am not in deep cost wise, so I will try this and hope for the best. Thanks for all your assistance. I will let you know how it turns out.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration