Paint Splatter Removal

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Paint Splatter Removal

Postby ScottWNJ » July 22nd, 2011, 1:55 pm

A friend of mine just gave me a really nice Spalding George Snuffy Stirnweiss glove. Soft leather, very strong stampings, original laces, good lining. The only flaw is paint spatter. A very fine pinpoint spatter (like castoff from a paint roller) covers the fingers and thumb. I did a search for paint removal on the forum, but didn't find anything. I intend to keep the glove in my collection, but would like to know if there is anything that can remove the paint without hurting the leather. I welcome your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Paint Splatter Removal

Postby mikesglove » August 5th, 2011, 3:07 am

I've used paint stripper like Jasco brand for such things. They make a thick and watery version. I use the thick to pinpoint the paint spot without other areas affected. Best to not leave the stripper on too long. I clean it off with a solvent like rubbing alcohol and then treat the leather with a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap to replenish the leather. I haven't personally had the leather discolor but it is always best to test a hidden area first. If the paint has been on there a while, it can be tough to remove. Sometimes I've teased the spot with the dull edge of a spoon to give the stripped a better chance of loosening the paint.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » August 5th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Thanks again Mike. I was beginning to think that no one would provide an answer. Paint stripper on leather sounds a bit harsh, but I may give it a try.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » August 6th, 2011, 3:23 pm

For very fine paint splatters (little dots), I use the sharp little knife on a swiss army knife. It flicks right off. It will usually leave a clean spot or stripped spot there but a conditioning almost always covers them back up with a uniform look. Have had good results in the past. Haven't tried it on big spots as it would almost require you to cut it out.

JD
ebbets55

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I just use my finger nail to tug off the smaller paint specs. It takes a little pressure but most come right off. It then needs some moisturizer or saddle soap to get the consistent color back. Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration