Cleaned up 1930s Rawlings

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Cleaned up 1930s Rawlings

Postby okdoak » February 21st, 2011, 5:37 pm

I pulled this Rawlings G38 from the ebay bargain bin last month, just for the tag and the button. It looked bad in the pictures and no better in person, stiff as a board. Had some time over the weekend, so I started cleaning around the stampings just for the heck of it. After some scrubbing, the grime started to come off. I've learned this; some gloves that I think are hopeless will clean up nice, some that look like they will clean up nice, don't, and I usually guess wrong on both :?

Before (actually during on the front of the glove).

After.
I've also learned that grime is good at hiding ink... :(
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Cleaned up 1930s Rawlings

Postby sunnyjim » March 24th, 2011, 2:58 am

A great job of cleaning! Thanks for sharing!

I have been spending what spare hours I can the past two weeks, working on a 1930s Ken Wel "Paul Dean Special" that I purchased on eBay over the winter. I am quite pleased with how it's coming along, overall ("Fast Orange and elbowgrease").[img]
sunnyjim
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » April 3rd, 2011, 11:45 pm

Great job Okdoak. What did you use on it? I'm always afraid I'll overclean a glove and ruin it.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Kenny Wel » April 4th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Sunnyjim, I'd love to see that Paul Dean Special your working on. I think I remember eyeing it over the winter. Let's see what you have done!

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » April 5th, 2011, 6:00 am

Thanks Scott! I used my old standby; Murphys Oil Soap and a toothbrush. Just did a little at a time and went back over it until the crud was gone. I didn't worry too much about overdoing it because the glove was pretty much ruined to begin with. :)
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration