I cut my own glove lace.

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

I cut my own glove lace.

Postby BigLareGloveRepair » February 4th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Hello all,

I relace gloves in Arizona, and I recently started making my own lace. I bought cowhide from Tandy and cut my own lace. But I recently encounted a problem with a glove I relaced for a high school kid. The glove I relaced was a Wilson A2000 with a T-web or H web. I had to fix the web twice because it broke in the same spot. I am embarrased because it reflects negativley on my work. I used to just purchase my lace from the local baseball shops in Phoenix and Tempe, but once they saw I was taking business away from them, they quit selling me lace. So I had to resort to eBay for my lace. The only time I got a glove back due to it breaking was when I used White lace. I currently use 4-5 oz weight leather for my lace, but this last time I used to 6-7oz weight leather. It was tougher to lace but it looks way more durable. If anyone out there could give me some friendly advise. I know there are probably other glove repair people on here and will not be willing to help me. But I figured I might find ONE good person. (oh and the reason I decided to make my own lace was cost, and the versatility of being able to make my own colors.) I use veg tanned leather. Does anyone know if that is strong enough to take the punishment? And I used cova colors and leather dye to dye my leather prior and sometimes after cutting the lace. my email is laureanorivera@yahoo.com
Big Lare Glove Repair
BigLareGloveRepair
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: I cut my own glove lace.

Postby Number9 » February 4th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Triple C will probably sell you a single hide. I think for a modern glove you're going to want to use alum tanned leather. That's not really my area of expertise though. Someone in sales or customer service will be able to tell you what you need based on your description.

http://www.triplecleather.com/
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: I cut my own glove lace.

Postby BretMan » February 6th, 2011, 1:37 am

Since I do a lot of glove repairs on modern gloves, the subject of laces always interests me. I've kicked around the idea of making my own laces and would love to hear about your own experiences with that. Can you describe the process and equipment you use?

Did you know that there is a discussion board for modern gloves? It sort of spun off from this board a couple of years ago. The other board also has a "Glove Repair" section and you will find quite a few threads about laces and suppliers. Wherever the guys in your area were buying their laces, you should be able to buy them youself from the same sources.

Check it out here: http://glove-works.getwebs.org

Hope this helps!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration