Finding Lanolin?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Finding Lanolin?

Postby softball66 » March 26th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Where's the easist way to purchase some pure lanolin? :?:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » March 26th, 2007, 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure Brett mentioned you can find it at a pharmacy. I've also seen it listed on ebay in different size containers.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mittman » March 26th, 2007, 5:28 pm

I recently bought a one pound container of pure lanolin at Sutton Scientifics Inc. ebay store. I think they go by SSI Supply Store.
Sam
Mittman
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 26th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Just go to your local pharmacist - my wife says I'm their best customer for lanolin!! 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

thanks for tips

Postby softball66 » March 28th, 2007, 4:33 pm

I relayed this to my questioner and he went to pharmacy and pharmacist who acted very puzzled about it. Maybe it's a better idea to go to the drug store and ask a clerk. The internet sites should work though.
Thanks again. :shock:
softball66

Postby BretMan » March 28th, 2007, 10:21 pm

I've never bought bulk lanolin in a pharmacy, but you can find it on the shelves of most drug stores. It's just not on a shelf where most guys would think to look.

Pure lanolin, with no additives, is sold and marketed as a remedy for, ummm...well...tenderness and...ummm...irritation...for...uhhh...nursing mothers.

If you look in the section where they carry baby stuff you can usually find it. One drawback is that when it is sold that way, the price is about seven bucks for a tube about as small as a travel-size toothpaste tube. But there is enough to do maybe three or four gloves, easily, and maybe more.

The other drawback is the looks you get when buying tubes of breast cream... :roll:
BretMan

Postby Number9 » March 28th, 2007, 11:37 pm

I tried a few times at my local CVS while there for other things, never had any luck on my own. I kept looking in the section with vaseline. Then I stopped by a pharmacy near my office and asked a pharmacist. I was so excited when she said that they had it that I didn't notice the surrounding items. It wasn't until I proclaimed "I'm going to need more than that! I'll take three!", that I finally read the box. :oops:

It helps to have sense of humor.
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » March 29th, 2007, 7:31 am

Just have them order the one pound tub for you - it costs between 10 and 15 bucks. All you need to tell them is the NDC number which is 0168-0051-16 and they can order it for you. Usually, older/independent pharmacies will have it in stock but CVS/Walgreens will have to order it (this only takes a day or two).
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Pure Lanolin

Postby doubleSwitch » March 30th, 2007, 12:00 pm

Drug Stores ...women use pure lanolin after breastfeeding.

There are a few different brand names depending on your

area. Some places it will be in the baby section, others

in the ladys section.... :shock:
doubleSwitch
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » March 31st, 2007, 9:49 am

that's right, our gloves at least deserve the same treatment :oops:
spedrunr

Lanolin ! ?

Postby doubleSwitch » April 2nd, 2007, 11:23 pm

Ebay item #130096718781

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COFFEE-MUG- ... dZViewItem

This has to be some old advertising piece for Lanolin ?

Maybe? Worth a try eh? :twisted:
doubleSwitch
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby kenyon » August 24th, 2007, 12:16 pm

You can buy pure Lanolin as well as a complete line of Lexol products at IFA. I personally use Lexol products. Lexol ph-Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. The IFA employees I talk with are extremely knowlegable when it comes to leather cleaning and conditioning. Saddles, saddle bags, and cowboy boots.

I have an old Spalding Al Dark glove my father used as a child and the first glove I used in T-Ball. I gave it a good clean with Lexol ph-Cleaner, then placed it in a cardboard box and left it in my hot garage for a day, gave it a good wipe with a dry cloth, left it in the box in the garage for one more day then applied the Lexol Conditioner. Sweet results.
kenyon
Rookie Glove Poster

That baseball/breast mug?

Postby Vindoggie » September 18th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I bought it!!! It's downstairs on a shelf with some of my other vintage baseball memorabilia! If you go to my story "Looking Out" in the general glove discussion, you'll see that I make mention of it in the very first paragraph. It's one of my most prized possessions!!! (no duh!)
To hell with the expression "You don't really know a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" How about- "... until you've caught nine innings using his mitt!" A bit more accurate, don't you think?
Vindoggie
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mudman » September 19th, 2007, 7:44 pm

mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » January 18th, 2008, 10:31 am

kenyon wrote: I gave it a good clean with Lexol ph-Cleaner, then placed it in a cardboard box and left it in my hot garage for a day, gave it a good wipe with a dry cloth, left it in the box in the garage for one more day then applied the Lexol Conditioner. Sweet results.

How do you use the ph-Cleaner? I have been using it for several years, but the one issue I have with it is that it really dries the leather out and I have to double my effort to rehydrate. This last glove I worked on was cleaned with the the ph-Cleaner, conditioned with Lexol, I applied a light coat of lanolin and used Lexol once more. The results were acceptable. I think the emulsifiers in the lexol facilitated complete penetration with the lanolin. Most of the cleaning issues I have are with well played gamers that have not seen conditioning in quite awhile. My own gamers get wiped down periodically with Lexol and this seems to work well for both cleaning and conditioning. My son's catcher mitts get the most attention and their leather stays nice and pliable without the oily-heavy feel of well lubed mitts.

I am interested in hearing other takes on cleaning-conditioning issues.

Play hard and have fun!
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration