Replacement Eyelets

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Replacement Eyelets

Postby kvzbs9 » June 22nd, 2010, 12:10 am

I need help! Need to find replacement eyelets for my late 60's Roberto Clememte Macgregor glove. Does anyone out there know of a source where I may purchase some?

I would really appreciate it!
kvzbs9
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Replacement Eyelets

Postby BretMan » July 12th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Might give this a try...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » January 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm

A company called Dritz also makes replacement eyelets. Fabric stores carry them, also ebay. The pliers to set the eyelets is also available. It is about $30 new at a fabric store but can be found used on ebay for $3-$4. One thing I've found is to be careful of the size eyelet, for example, there are 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" and so on. Best to bring the glove with you to match to the right one or get a variety back. I have used a propane torch to burn off the coating on the eyelet and there are antiquing chemicals available to color the eyelet. Sometimes car battery acid works in a pinch.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby racgofar » January 14th, 2011, 10:51 am

If they eyelets are not loose, missing and are just corroded, they can be easily touched up. I use a q-tip with brass cleaner to remove corrosion and dirt build up. Testors makes enamel paint pens in multiple colors and they work great to touch up the eyelets. The pens come in black, light and dark brown colors and match up well to original colors. Thye can be found at ACE Hardware or any hobby store. The brass cleaner also works great on the old buttons. Many of them were in fact brass or brass capped. They look brand new after a few minutes of polishing! I'll try to post some before and after pics of a Lon Warneke, Jr. horshide glove I restored.
racgofar
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration