Need lacing!!

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Need lacing!!

Postby kvzbs9 » May 15th, 2010, 11:58 am

I am in the process of relacing the web of a 60s Macgregor, Roberto Clemente model glove and I need a source for thin lacing? I measured the lacing that was on the glove at 3/16" x 1/16" thick. Anybody out there that can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Signed,

Leather and no Lace
kvzbs9
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Need lacing!!

Postby Number9 » May 15th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Email me, I may be able to help.

william@huntingtonbaseballco.com
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MAD BRAD » February 8th, 2011, 11:25 pm

shoe repair guys have them i get them for2 bucks each mb
MAD BRAD
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 9th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Here's a source from eBay. This guy sells nice laces that work well on vintage gloves. He even carries some unusual colors, plus some 9/64" wide lace. I have ordered laces from him in the past and have been happy with what he sent me.

http://stores.ebay.com/Wood-N-Stuff/Bas ... 34.c0.m322
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby mikesglove » July 6th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Sometimes it is inevitable to have to replace lacing but a lot of vintage gloves have breaks in the lacing but are otherwise intact. If there is enough length to deal with, I will scrape and taper 1/2'" of the broken ends with an exacto knife and apply Wilsonart 600 contact cement to the cleaned off areas and overlap the ends and bond them together. Most times the bonded section can be hidden in a tunnel web or a finger stall. I like to keep the vintage lace on the glove if possible rather than replace it.

One web lacing was broken on the glove below but otherwise was all original and pristine. The repaired overlapped section is in the finger stall and not visible. The thickness and width of the original lace was kind of unique to this glove and I thought a replacement would detract from the vintage look.
DSCN2016a.jpg
mikesglove

Postby BretMan » July 6th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Nice fix. Speaking of bonding leather...I've used various glues designed for fabrics that are supposed to remain flexible after drying. Having heard some good things about a brand called "Shoe Goo" I decided to give it a try.

Many stores carry this, so it was easy to find. Walmart sells a huge tube for four bucks- found it in their shoe area, where they sell shoe laces and polish.

Just to see how it worked, I cut two strips of leather that were about 1/2" wide. I "gooed" them together, overlapping them about 1/2". The instructions say to let the bonded pieces cure for 24 hours to acheive full strength. After waiting only about one hour, I tried pulling the two pieces apart. Despite pulling with all my strength the two pieces remained firmly attached. The bond was also completely flexible.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration