A couple of recent condition/relace jobs

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

A couple of recent condition/relace jobs

Postby bbrah » March 5th, 2010, 7:13 pm

I finally got around to the Nokona Joe Jackson my brother gave me. Seeing as how it is the most valuable glove in my possession, I didn't do my full tear-apart resto. I did a very light surface cleaning, condition, and re-lace. I'm thinking about replacing the edge tape, but will probably leave it be for a while. I did a very light coating of petroleum jelly. Again, I forgot the before shots, but there are the after photos:

I also did another vintage softball glove. I used my whole normal process. Soaked in water, scrubbed with fast orange pumice, let dry thoroughly, and slather in petroleum jelly. Re-laced the single web with dark lace. No before pics, but here is the result:

Enjoy.

-BRAH
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: A couple of recent condition/relace jobs

Postby Number9 » March 6th, 2010, 1:51 am

Nice Jackson.

As for the other, water may not be leather's biggest enemy but it's up there. Whenever you soak leather you're rinsing out oils and tanning agents that preserve the leather. Petroleum jelly will make it look nice for a while but the leather has been compromised. If you really want to "wash" the leather, I'd recommend using both Lexol products (cleaner and conditioner) in a controlled manner. Any time you clean deeper than the surface you're doing too much.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby bbrah » March 10th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Number 9, I agree that water washes away the oils in leather, if there are any left. Personally, if I've got a folded up piece of wood that's been wedged under a steamer trunk since the Eisenhower administration, I'll soak it in water to get it open. At least that way It won't crack or rip. You can always add back oils, but you can't un-tear leather. While it's wet, I go ahead and scrub it out with a soft brush and industrial hand cleaner (GoJo or Fast Orange), then prop it open to dry in a cool, well-ventilated place. When it dries into a glove-shaped piece of wood, I can easily condition it back to suppleness (with petroleum jelly). If you've got a method for massaging conditioner into the dirty and crusty palm of a glove through a matchstick-wide crack, I'd like to hear it.

I've only restored about a dozen gloves (down to replacing pads and linings, fabricating panels, and restitching) and I've only relaced and conditioned maybe a hundred. I've tried every type of conditioner and cleaner out there. Yeah, Lexol makes fine products, but in my very limited experience, they're at best marginally better. I think it's a bunch of marketing hype. Maybe that thin margin (if it exists) means something to you, but I'm not monkeying around with the 100-year-old gems you work on. I actually play with most of the gloves that I bring back to life, and I have yet to experience a failure because I washed away essential oils or changed the Ph of the leather. By the way, I've used this exact same method on my boots for 30+ years and I currently have a pair of combat boots that are more than 20 years old. I've gone through two resoles and am due for a third. If not for a deep scratch on one of the toes and the worn soles, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from a pair of broken-in one year old boots. The only difference with the boots is that I dye them black and let them dry again before I condition them. Lastly, need I remind you, that Nokona recommends petroleum jelly to re-condition its gloves.
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » March 11th, 2010, 12:11 am

Fair enough. Reading through my post again, I see that I could have been more clear when mentioning petroleum jelly. The reference to PJ was that it can only do so much to help the leather after it's been soaked and scrubbed. On it's own, PJ won't hurt your glove. I wish you the best.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration