Some new before/after photos

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Re: Some new before/after photos

Postby Rickybulldog » May 8th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Great work! I love what you did to the Joe D. glove!
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » May 8th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Thanks Ricky! That one is a peach!
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby MGHProductions » May 8th, 2010, 9:00 pm

That Gehrig really popped after the cleaning.. looks great!
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » January 19th, 2011, 11:14 pm

With the new shop buzzing the last few weeks, I figured I'd show some of the recent projects. Here's something different to start it off. This D&M box was a bit delicate when it arrived, but remarkably, it remained fully intact despite the tears and the collapsed corners. Collection of Corey Leiby at http://www.antiqueathlete.com

Before....
ImageImage

After....
ImageImageImage
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby Number9 » July 3rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

Been meaning to post some updates here for a while. Here are a few recent gloves and mitts.....

Pita strap repair...

PitaBefore2.jpg
PitaBefore2.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 38921 times
Pita2.jpg
Pita2.jpg (129.93 KiB) Viewed 38921 times

Duckweb button cap...

DuckBack3.jpg
DuckBack3.jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 38921 times
DuckBack5.jpg
DuckBack5.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 38921 times
Attachments
Button2.jpg
Button2.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 38921 times
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby Number9 » July 3rd, 2012, 9:42 pm

Ken-Wel 632 Lou Gehrig model. This one was pretty rough when it surfaced but it turned out great. Most of the parts are original or of the period, just needed some love.

632_BeforeB2.jpg
632_BeforeB2.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 38920 times
632_BeforeF.jpg
632_BeforeF.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 38920 times

Everything removed, including all the eyelets...

Gehrig2.jpg
Gehrig2.jpg (169.18 KiB) Viewed 38920 times

Eyelets were reshaped back into round form and put back in. The zipper is an original Hookless model that we scoured the earth for, not an easy find...

632_Eyelets2.jpg
632_Eyelets2.jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 38920 times

Done...

632_B2.jpg
632_B2.jpg (152.43 KiB) Viewed 38920 times
632_F2.jpg
632_F2.jpg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 38920 times
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby mikesglove » July 4th, 2012, 4:01 am

It looks like a major restoration. it must be rewarding to know you can dismantle every part and put it back together. Was the inner lining used again? I see it outside the mitt so I take it a new one was made and put in. How do you keep the grommets intact as you remove them and use them over? I seem to break the little metal tabs often. Was the leather cleaned at all? It looks somewhat lighter in color but maybe that is the photo. It must be nice to know how to use an industrial sewing machine. A long time ago, I had to restitch some leather piping by hand with both the initial attachment and then rolling it and stitching it in place. That was so difficult that I have avoided that kind of repair since then.

The box came out nice, especially the severely damaged corner. That must have taken some time in fitting the pieces together. My MacG box I mentioned to you earlier is about that condition. I took your advice and looked inside the flaps and there is quite a bit of useable cardboard if I need to fill in a visible section that needs an exact color match. Gluing overlapping torn edges was also a good suggestion in addition to the Lineco tape. My project seems a little more doable after seeing your results.
mikesglove

Postby Number9 » July 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm

The only new material on the Gehrig is the horsehide piping (the original was completely shot), and the cotton cord for the adjustment to snug up the back (original was missing). Everything else, including the lining, is original or original to the period.

I took the lining out and completely rebuilt it. All of the finger stalls had come undone, but the lining itself was in good shape. Just needed to be cleaned and put back together. Once I got it out, the full tear down was the only way to go. The assembly needs to happen in order, so going back and resewing bits and pieces without taking it fully apart is actually more work. As for the eyelets, that was insane, but it needed to be done. They were bent and in pretty rough shape overall, so that was reason enough to fix them, but there was also the bigger issue of being able to remove the piping which the eyelets went through. Ultimately that allowed me to get the lining out. I could have worked around the eyelets, I suppose, but it would have compromised the results of the finished product. All of the original eyelets were cleaned, straightened, and put back in, all by hand. The stitching you can see next to the zipper was done by hand. It was too awkward to do on the machine and I didn't want to risk damage. Lining and eyelets aside, I didn't do a ton of cleaning to the outside. The mitt had a burnished surface and I would have sueded the surface if I worked it too much. I gave it three or four gentle cleanings to try to bring up some of the stamping. That was mildly successful but the mitt looks a lot brighter with just the surface dirt removed.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby okdoak » July 4th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Nice work William! What's the story on the Ratsch Peerless button cap? I am really hoping that you have found a way to fabricate them. And if so, I'll take one. :)
okdoak

Postby Number9 » July 4th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Thanks, Greg. That one was tough. I ended up making buttons with the image of a correct Ratsch celluloid button on it. All of the cracks and staining are in the image, not on the surface. The button that I used on the glove is modified further to fit on the original post/cap/whachmacallit. They were pricey to produce but they look really cool and could be worn or displayed as a pinback. I kept one for myself, but if there's interest I could definitely make more.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby mikesglove » July 5th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I like that you hand sewed the zipper back on through the original stitched holes. that is dedication! The original zipper looks thrashed. I take it the replacement was 1930's era. What is the story on that? What sort of garment was it from. Was it an internet find. Sometimes the search for vintage parts can be fun as I locate old leather and buckles fairly easily at flea markets. The zipper seems like a challenge though.
mikesglove

Postby Number9 » July 5th, 2012, 2:30 pm

There's a very short window for the Hookless brand. Off the top of my head I think it was 1918 to 1930, give or take a few years, then they fell under the Talon brand. Naturally, there aren't a lot to pick from. We ended up finding a crazy looking leather vest made by some school kid that had the correct zipper in good working order with no tears on the cotton tape (common problem and the biggest one to clear). Lucky for us, the seller mentioned the zipper in the listing otherwise we never would have found it. Seems we had some competition for it because it went pretty high.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby mikesglove » August 4th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Love the glove, felt fortunate to get it. Didn't care for the inked on names, however. Luckily the ink was flaking off the web anyway.

Cleaning the palm was tough going. Had to use Q-tips around the "Genuine Horse Hide". Used a small artist brush and liquid conditioner on the leather welting and Vaseline on the piping. The contrast is killer now.

Love the way the lettering of KenWel is fitted into an oval shape on the front and a concave shape on the cloth patch. The forming of "Neverip" into a shape is classic Art Nouveau style. Reminds me of the Fillmore posters of the 60's. I was in college 40 miles away and made it there often. "My Soul's been Psychidelicized"!

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » April 8th, 2016, 1:48 pm

A 1930's Hutch glove with "Rainey Trap" web.
mikesglove

Postby MattyOrioles » September 27th, 2016, 4:29 pm

mikesglove wrote:A 1930's Hutch glove with "Rainey Trap" web.

Looks great!
MattyOrioles
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration