Tight or Loose Lacing?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Tight or Loose Lacing?

Postby robin_buckeye » November 6th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Which do you think gives a glove better performance, tight or loose lacing?

Is the ball more or less likely to "pop" out with one or the other method?

I've always kept my gamer's laces pretty tight, but I've noticed that some of my teammates have considerable space between their fingers and webbing. And I think we have all noticed Varitek's web.

Any opinions?
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » November 9th, 2009, 11:02 pm

for me I guess it depends on the type of game you play. I played 3rd base and hide to do a lot diving, fielding on the run, and taking liners so I liked my glove tight and stiff so the ball stayed put. Loose gloves seemed to cause balls to pop out when you hit the deck.

For me a nice tight glove feels like an extension of my own hand rather than a tool on my hand.

I guess I looked at it like this. If you were to catch a ball with your bare hand you'd tighten up your hand and fingers and put your hand in a bowl/claw shape so that's how I liked my glove. Sure you'd spread your fingers out but you would keep them as stiff as you could. This is probably why I can't stand these new flare gloves. You wouldn't try to put your hand in a funnel shape to catch a ball so why do your glove that way.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration