Two Questions

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Two Questions

Postby Gambrinus » October 28th, 2009, 11:30 pm

I just bought a Spalding Bob Gibson signature series glove. The model number is 42-321. Could someone tell me an approximate year of manufature.

Second question is what supplier would you guys recommend for laces. I contacted Triple C, but they only sell laces by the 100's. Way more than I need. I sent an E-mail to Triple D and no one has replied. I looked at Zack White, but they want as much to ship as the order itself. I just hate to pay 3-4 dollars a lace when I need 15 or so laces.

Gambrinus
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2009, 1:49 am

I don't see that particular Gibson model in the Catalog Source Book, but there is enough info there to take a good guess. My guess would be 1969-1970.

1970 was the first year that a Gibson-endorsed glove appeared in the Spalding catalogs. But the model number was different. In 1970 Spalding listed a 42-321 model endorsed by Don Drysdale and the Gibson model was 42-323.

It wasn't unusual for sporting goods companies to rush a glove with a "hot" endorsement into production, or to slip in some gloves that weren't in their catalogs to capitalize on a popular player. It would be easy to envision Spalding doing this following Gibson's dominating performance in the 1968 World Series. They very well could have signed him to an endorsement deal too late in the "model year" to give the glove its own model number or get it into the 1969 catalog before it was published.

Beginning in 1971, Spalding began using four digit model numbers (following the "42-" prefix). That makes it less likely that your glove was produced after 1970. They did produce a Gibson model throught out the rest of the decade and the model number for that one was 42-3321.

On to the laces...

Triple C makes some great laces, but I got the same story you did when I contacted them- laces would be sold only in bundles of 100. Some members of this forum have told me that they will sell smaller bundles. That's not what Triple C told me and I didn't really persue it any further.

I ordered a few laces from Triple D about 18 months ago and they were decent laces- a little pricey once the shipping was added in, but they had some unusual colors I couldn't find anywhere else. The next time I wanted to order a few, their website had been taken down! I just assumed that they were out of business. Now I see that they have moved to a new website with a different address.

Their laces weren't bad, but their customer service was a little slow in responding to my emails. The other problem I had was that their automated ordering system would add staggering amounts for shipping costs, like $20 to ship ten laces. I had to email the owner several times before he told me that their ordering system doesn't work right and he sent me different totals for the shipping.

If they have the shipping charge issue worked out and would be more responsive to customer inquiries, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. Until then, they just seem a little shaky to deal with.

I don't have any experience with Zack White Leather, but would like to see some samples of their laces before even thinking about placing an order. If teh quality of their laces is anything like Tandy, another leather supplier, they aren't really all that suitable for baseball gloves.

Here are a couple possible sources you might try:

Tanner's requires you to set up an account with them, so if you call tell them that's what you want to do right up front. They do not make retail sales to the general public. I set up an account with no problem. You will have to buy laces in bundles of 25. But they will only run about $1.50 each, or less, at that price, even after paying for shipping. These are thick, high quality laces made specifically for modern high-end baseball gloves.

In fact, these laces are so thick that sometimes they don't look right on older vintage gloves that originally had thinner laces. For those gloves, I order their single-packaged Rawlings laces and those will run about $1.75 each with shipping- just a little more than half what you'd pay in a retail outlet.

Here is their website: http://www.tanners.com/index.htm

USA Sports Direct is a supplier I just came across recently and have not yet ordered from. They sell the same laces used in Glovesmith gloves, so they should be quality laces. They aren't the cheapest, but are a little less than full retail and they offer some different colors. Might be worth a look.

USA Sports Direct: http://www.usasportsdirect.com/Baseball ... -Laces.htm

If all else fails, drop me a line at the email address on my "Glove Shop" website (see link below in my signature). I don't normally sell individual laces, but might be able to come up with something for you.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby AkBandit » October 29th, 2009, 2:23 am

Check the number on your glove again. The Catalog Source book lists a Spalding Bob Gibson Model 42-3321, not 321, in the 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975 and 1976 Spalding catalogs. The 1973 catalog isn't in the book.
AkBandit

Postby Gambrinus » October 29th, 2009, 9:53 am

Hey guys thanks for the info. I'll check out some of the links you sent and see what works. I went back and checked my glove. and it is a 42-3215. Sorry :? . I was guessing that it was newer. They seem to be pretty common on E-bay. Maybe this will help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT Not the best shape, but I plan on using it.
Gambrinus
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2009, 11:24 am

The 42-3215 model pops up in the 1975 and later catalogs and is listed as a Jim Plamer model. It wasn't unusual at all for glove makers to issue uncataloged variations of the same glove model. Sometimes they would produce these gloves for sale through retail outlets other than conventional sporting goods dealers.

Mid-70's sounds about right from the look of that glove. It might be a little worn and a little dirty, but I bet it cleans up great and works fine after some elbow grease and new laces. Let us know how it turns out!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Gambrinus » October 29th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Will do Brett. I have this one and my first childhood glove that need a relace. I will post them up, after they get a good cleaning and conditioning. Thanks again.
Gambrinus
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dapert » October 29th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Triple C has been sold but their lace staff is going with them. I contacted them via e-mail and they sold me batches of 25. You can pick the color, width, and ounces and they will help you decide on popular colors and sizes. I ordered maybe two months ago.

I've got more than I need so I can sell you some as well. Only problem is I'm in Canada so shipping will be a tad bit more than a state side member.

They are a bit narrower than the Tanners or Rawlings prepack but they work just fine. I actually relaced a Spalding Pinella 42*5367 which is probably around the same time frame as yours. I relaced with Tanners and they are so thick and wide that I couldn't even attempt to close the glove. Relaced with the Triple C and all is good now. Stiffened up nice but not enough to require a like new break in all over again.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Gambrinus » October 29th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Hey thanks for the info. I contacted them by email about a price list and they sent me some clippings in white black and tan. They seemed to be of great quality. It also said that they were moving next week to Auburn, KY (which is only about 30 minutes from were they are right now). I'll have to email them back and see if I can get them to sell me a bundle of 25. Who knows I might get lucky and be able to pick them up.
Gambrinus
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Gambrinus » October 30th, 2009, 11:51 am

I emailed Triple C last night and they contacted me this morning. They said that they would sell bundles of 25, but they were in the process of moving this weekend. She gave me a number and a contact name. And asked me to wait to order till Wednesday. We will have to see what kind of price they have.
Gambrinus
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration