any ideas on how to get color back into a glove ?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

any ideas on how to get color back into a glove ?

Postby english baseball nut » August 21st, 2009, 3:06 pm

does anyone know of anything to get the colour back into a glove (tan) please ?
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby bbrah » August 25th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Is it bleached out or stained? If it's bleached, conditioning it will bring back some of the color, but it will still have that ugly corpse-gray cast. You can re-dye it tan, but it will most likely still have uneven color and it will be darker than original.

I had a bleached and splotchy glove that I dyed a medium brown. It hid the uneven color and turned out great.

If it isn't super-valuable, you might consider over-dying it slightly darker. I have a couple of '60s era gloves that have naturally aged to a fairly dark brown (I think that it had something to do with the oil that previous owners used to condition them).

Anyway, they look nice and are "original."

If you do decide to redye, you should first clean the glove. I like to use gojo with pumice, then I rinse it thoroughly with water and let it dry completely. The dry leather will absorb the dye better. After the dye dries, you can condition it. It's probably a good idea to unlace it (or at least loosen the laces so that you can get the dye under them).

Whatever you decide, please post before and after photos.

Good luck,

-BRAH
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby english baseball nut » September 9th, 2009, 7:46 pm

hi i used light tan boot polish a light covering and wiping and it looks good as new and the leather feels better will post before and after picks when i eventually work out how to put picks on here
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration