First Relace....ASDJ2

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

First Relace....ASDJ2

Postby baseballer935 » December 31st, 2008, 1:31 pm

Well this is my first glove relace on a cheaper Rawlings model, a version off of the HOH Jeter Turn 2 glove.
The laces were all messed up and fraying badly and I occasionally used this for infield because of its lightweight so I decided to relace it.

I got the Rawlings Glove Relacing Kit and some Tanners Tan lace and went to work....no before pics because I got everything for Christmas and was too excited to wait any longer....only finished pics.

Thanks for looking!

Man those lacing needles are life savers lol and I couldn't resist leaving the laces a little long :shock:

-Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » December 31st, 2008, 2:34 pm

very nice work. First time! Wow. My first relace looked like crap. I'm impressed.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » December 31st, 2008, 5:00 pm

well done. You should be very pleased for your first relace. It looks like you took a lot of time and care to get it right.
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » December 31st, 2008, 5:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,

It took me a little over an hour to do. I had been looking at how it was laced for a month or so and I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. It was really floppy before and now after it takes some force to close it so I am very happy with it. I did have one mistake: if you look at the first picture at the very top of the web the lace that goes straight through the top twisted once so it came out on the unfinished side of the lace, but I did not notice it and don't want to go back and fix it, I sort of like the look.

Next up for relace: Rawlings Player Preferred Series Tan Catcher's Mitt!

-Kyle
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby oakfan33 » December 31st, 2008, 5:19 pm

Very nice job on the glove. Looks like a pro did that one. Excellent job on your knots also.
oakfan33
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » December 31st, 2008, 6:25 pm

Really nice job. Now tell us what you think of the Tanner's laces. I though they were a little thick and a little orange.

Also, are you hooked yet? Are you making excuses just to re lace something? Happened to me.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » December 31st, 2008, 7:44 pm

This was my first relace so the laces were from the stock selection of 3/16 x 48 inches from my local sports store (Academy) as I just wanted to try out relacing it and see how I liked it before possibly ordering a larger amount of "bulk" laces. I used 5 of these Tan lace packs to do the entire glove. Some of the packs felt like 3/16ths, and some of them like 1/4 inch lacing, being harder and thicker than the others even though they were marked the same. I used these thicker laces on the web so it worked out fine......as with the color I didn't pay much attention but they might have been a tad orange, but the pictures might be a little off from real life, but it is hard to compare.

My story...
I am just a freshman pitcher in high school playing on the baseball team who can throw 75 mph already. I had never had a nice glove and I decided I wanted a nice one to last all through high school. However my knowledge of gloves was very low and I had no idea what to buy or where to buy so I started searching the Internet for any information about gloves and pricing....I somehow came across this site which convinced me to buy a custom HOH, http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.co ... php?t=2999. I thought that buying this would end the need for a glove for a while, which was true, but I was hooked onto gloves, and now I am always looking for nice gloves and going on this site several times a day. As for relacing, I don't think I am hooked yet as the ASDJ2 was my only backup glove to my HOH and have noowhere else to get gloves to relace, however relacing is enjoyable and fun when you know what you are doing :D. Sorry if I dragged that on lol. Hope it answered your questions Opticsp.

-Kyle
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » December 31st, 2008, 10:28 pm

-baseballer935

Kyle,
I would imagine that most glovers on this forum would love to go back in time to where you are right now. Enjoy it all and good luck on your High School baseball team!

Way to go Kyle...

-Eddie
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » December 31st, 2008, 10:41 pm

Thanks Eddie!

This site is awesome and there are so many knowledgeable members to help everyone out! I will enjoy it all I can and see where baseball can take me in life...

-Kyle
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » April 28th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Nice work. The knots look good.

I am impressed with the quality of work indeed. :D
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby bbrah » June 18th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Good job on your first relace. This will sound nitpicky, but I would point out that laces should have the smooth side out wherever possible. It's tricky to twist the lace to do it, but well worth the effort for a clean professional job. The laces also wear better and the smooth side doesn't darken quite as much as the rough side when oiled.
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dapert » August 25th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Great job kid. I have a few Rawlings with Basket webs that have never been relaced and from the factory they have the rough side out exactly where yours are. It's done that way to have the smooth side in the pocket where the abuse will take place.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby bbrah » August 25th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Fair enough, dapert. I wasn't trying to be a dick, I'm sorry if I came across as one.

-BRAH
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby dapert » August 26th, 2009, 9:33 am

not at all Brah...just wanted him to know that the way he did it is "factory" and not wrong. Heck he might have just unlaced and followed what was there.

I do agree with you that it looks better if you take the time to twist them. Although when using Tanner tan it's not always that easy since that stuff is so thick. I tried it on an RGB36 Dale Murphy and it caused some slight bumpiness that I was't really fond of.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration