Conditioning a Custom HOH

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Conditioning a Custom HOH

Postby baseballer935 » November 15th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Hey everyone,

My black dry custom heart of the hide is almost in and was wondering what everyone's experience was with breaking in and conditioning the leather on this glove. I have some Rawlings glovolium and may purchase some primo glove butter. What do you guys think? I don't mind if the leather gets darker but I don't want it to become too soft.

Thanks for all of the advice!

-Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby RedSoxFan81 » December 6th, 2008, 2:24 am

My personal opinion would be just to play catch with it as much as possible and work the glove by hand in your free time to get the shape you want and work the hinges by hand to loosen it up. I have only put a conditioner on one of my gloves which was a pro issued pro preferred and it definitely was heavier after. And I did not even use a ton of the stuff. I simply had used the orange bottle lexol for cleaning, then followed up with brown bottle lexol for conditioning. Plus you said you don't want it to get too soft, the conditioner will only speed up the process of it getting softer. For me personally, I will never use any conditioner on my gloves and will just try and wipe them down from time to time with a lightly damp rag with just water on it, and just store it in a good location when not in use.
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » December 6th, 2008, 10:59 am

Thanks Redsoxfan,

I recieved about 3 weeks ago and have just played catch with it and wrapped it up with a ball for a few days. I put light dabs of Glovolium in the crotch area and finger areas where I have seen some gloves crack. After 3 weeks it is still nice and stiff, but I will have it ready for my high school season.

-Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration