glove anatomy 101...

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

glove anatomy 101...

Postby rmiller » November 12th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I have been relacing gloves for a number of years now, and I must confess that sometimes you guys use lingo that I don't know. I specifically mean parts and areas of gloves.

Do any of you have, or know of a picture of a glove that has the different parts, pieces, and locations of a glove labeled with what all the names of those things are?

I realize this is a real dumb question, and I am displaying my ignorance here...thanks for your help guys.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 13th, 2008, 12:13 pm

A "official term" section would be helpful.

I know I would use it.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby JP#3 » November 13th, 2008, 1:37 pm

It's the same for me ... thanks !
JP#3
JP#3
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » November 13th, 2008, 7:07 pm

fingers = fingers
thumb = thumb

:lol:
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » November 13th, 2008, 8:15 pm

like spedrunr said, pretty simple... a few that are "special":

binding = leather that runs along the opening where your hand goes ( thin leather strip)

welting = runs lengthwise between fingers on the back of the glove ( thin strips like grey welting on a tan glove)

lining = inside of glove that your hand touches when you put glove on - "finger stalls" refer to inside of fingers

palm, web, laces, thumb loops are easy... Am I missing anything?
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » November 13th, 2008, 8:27 pm

heel spot, heel :wink:
spedrunr

Postby spedrunr » November 13th, 2008, 8:29 pm

finger/web crotch fido! finger/web crotch! :roll:
spedrunr

Postby Mike_2007 » November 13th, 2008, 9:30 pm

spedrunr - shouldn't you be busy updating the MODGOW thread?
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » November 13th, 2008, 11:20 pm

ha....kinda lost its lustre....nothin new under the sun
spedrunr

Postby wjr953 » November 14th, 2008, 1:44 am

jsalinas,
Let me try to offer a little help if I can:

The short lacing run on the outer thumb and pinky (usually three holes) that holds the thumb and pinky pads in place (and possibly plastic stiffeners) are referred to as just that, the thumb and pinky pad lacing runs. Next is the finger lacing run, the one that runs through the tops of the fingers. Most are pretty straightforward. The next lacing run is what I refer to as the web coil run or the web "bridge". That's the lacing that wraps around the top of and in most cases also through the top of the web. Then you have the heel pad run, which is the one just below the palm area, that's there to hold the heel pad in place. Next, you have the heel wrap or bottom wrap which joins the front and back halves of the lower glove together and closes the glove. Finally, you have the web lacing itself, which is usually different in every single glove. Some web lacing forms a horseshoe pattern around the outer part of the web, some run across/through the web, some lacing forms X's and crisscrosses, and then you might also have little short runs, like in the double hinged webs. TrapEze gloves as you can tell by looking at them, have a totally different and involved lacing pattern. I've been told by other members that they're not impossible, it just takes time and patience. I haven't attempted one as yet. I have the time, but not the patience. Catcher's mitts and 1b mitts are totally different animals all together and they can be quite intricate and very tricky in their lacing runs. I've done a handful of catcher's mitts. Now I don't know if there's such a thing as "official" terms for the anatomy of a glove or a mitt as it pertains to re-lacing, but this is the basis of what I've come to know and understand in the short time that I've been doing this. I'm sure that there are many members on this board that use different terms for what I've described. For example, one of the earlier posters referred to the "binding". I have always referred to that as the piping. Different terms but they mean the same thing. So, you get the basic idea. If any of our respected veterans read this post, maybe they could expand on what I've started or perhaps correct my errors. Hope that this helps you new members out there. We were all newbies at this once and most of us learned by trial and error, in my case mostly error. I'm not ashamed to admit that my 1st glove re-lacing experience produced the all time boneheaded move, for sure. I had just gotten my 1st shipment of some brand new rawhide lacing and I sat down to work on a glove that I had recently bought on eBay for my grandson. The first thing that I decided to do was to take out all of the old lacing, every single piece, all at once. What I should have done (and I know better now) was to remove and re-lace as I went. Needless to say, that glove came out just awful. After a couple of months, I dug that glove back out again and did it the right way and it came out great. Lesson learned. lol! My grandson used that glove it for two years before he lost it. He forgot it at the field after baseball practice one Saturday and when he went back to the field to look for it, it was gone. Another lesson learned! :cry:

br
Last edited by wjr953 on November 14th, 2008, 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
wjr953

Postby rmiller » November 14th, 2008, 2:06 am

Thanks guys,
Mike- thanks for clearing up welting
br- piping and binding, same thing? Got it.

I think that about clears up what terminology I had questions on.

Oh, one more thing. another term I have heard that I'm unclear on is "hinge"
Last edited by rmiller on November 14th, 2008, 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 14th, 2008, 2:19 am

The hinge is where the glove folds. When you bring the thumb and pinky together, the upper part of the glove (the pocket) closes around the ball, but the hinge at the bottom (the crease), is what actually allows that to happen.

br
wjr953

Postby MVALZ » November 14th, 2008, 8:08 am

Oh, one more thing. another term I have heard that I'm unclear on is "hinge"[/quote]

The mitt in your avatar looks to be a good example of an early 'hinged' catchers mitt. They've come a long way
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Thudhugger » November 15th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Yeah, that is a really sweet catchers glove.... :wink:
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 15th, 2008, 2:57 pm

wjr953 wrote:jsalinas,
Let me try to offer a little help if I can:

The short lacing run on the outer thumb and pinky (usually three holes) that holds the thumb and pinky pads in place (and possibly plastic stiffeners) are referred to as just that, the thumb and pinky pad lacing runs. Next is the finger lacing run, the one that runs through the tops of the fingers. Most are pretty straightforward. The next lacing run is what I refer to as the web coil run or the web "bridge". That's the lacing that wraps around the top of and in most cases also through the top of the web. Then you have the heel pad run, which is the one just below the palm area, that's there to hold the heel pad in place. Next, you have the heel wrap or bottom wrap which joins the front and back halves of the lower glove together and closes the glove. Finally, you have the web lacing itself, which is usually different in every single glove. Some web lacing forms a horseshoe pattern around the outer part of the web, some run across/through the web, some lacing forms X's and crisscrosses, and then you might also have little short runs, like in the double hinged webs. TrapEze gloves as you can tell by looking at them, have a totally different and involved lacing pattern. I've been told by other members that they're not impossible, it just takes time and patience. I haven't attempted one as yet. I have the time, but not the patience. Catcher's mitts and 1b mitts are totally different animals all together and they can be quite intricate and very tricky in their lacing runs. I've done a handful of catcher's mitts. Now I don't know if there's such a thing as "official" terms for the anatomy of a glove or a mitt as it pertains to re-lacing, but this is the basis of what I've come to know and understand in the short time that I've been doing this. I'm sure that there are many members on this board that use different terms for what I've described. For example, one of the earlier posters referred to the "binding". I have always referred to that as the piping. Different terms but they mean the same thing. So, you get the basic idea. If any of our respected veterans read this post, maybe they could expand on what I've started or perhaps correct my errors. Hope that this helps you new members out there. We were all newbies at this once and most of us learned by trial and error, in my case mostly error. I'm not ashamed to admit that my 1st glove re-lacing experience produced the all time boneheaded move, for sure. I had just gotten my 1st shipment of some brand new rawhide lacing and I sat down to work on a glove that I had recently bought on eBay for my grandson. The first thing that I decided to do was to take out all of the old lacing, every single piece, all at once. What I should have done (and I know better now) was to remove and re-lace as I went. Needless to say, that glove came out just awful. After a couple of months, I dug that glove back out again and did it the right way and it came out great. Lesson learned. lol! My grandson used that glove it for two years before he lost it. He forgot it at the field after baseball practice one Saturday and when he went back to the field to look for it, it was gone. Another lesson learned! :cry:

br

Thank you sir. This will be helpful to me and others I am sure.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration