Pics of relaced buffalo Nokona...still a work in progress

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Pics of relaced buffalo Nokona...still a work in progress

Postby wickedwoman11 » November 11th, 2008, 3:03 am

I just want to thank all of you guys for your help. As some of you know, I've spent the last couple of months trying to fix my gamer glove. The laces cracked so I initially replaced them with chocolate, but I never got used to the way it looked (it wasn't MY glove anymore). I spent the last month obsessed, spending over a couple of hundred dollars on laces from six different manufacturers to no avail. I could never find laces that matched the color of the leather...I didn't want the lace color to stand out, but rather to blend in with the leather. Well, tonight I just spent a few hours working on the glove, I ended up using the rawhide side of some tan laces that Bill sent me (thanks Bill).

My problem is that the glove was a cinnamon color when I got it, and as the leather faded, the laces faded too...to more of a caramel color. Now, it is almost impossible to find anything that will not clash. The regular tan (I tried Tandy's, Tanners, Nokona replacement laces, and Rawlings) were all too orange looking and clashed really bad. The yellow laces (Easton and some deer ones I tried) were way too yellow.

So I ended up doing the rawhide side. I'm actually pretty happy with the interior of the glove, and the backside, though I want to fix the front (didn't have enough to do the front of the web properly right now...will fix that).

I'm taking it with me on a trip out of town tomorrow and I plan on working on the web front, and while it still is not perfect, at least I'm not on the verge of crying because I destroyed my glove. (And it looks more like my old baby than it did with the chocolate). It may not be a great match to the leather, but it isn't too bad...

See below...
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 11th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Great glove. I personally like the contrast in lace and glove body color. Black body and tan lace being the best for me.

That is a lot of lace on that model. It looks great IMO.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » November 11th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Well done Staci! With a few more lace color variations I think you might be able to relace that one blind (c;
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 11th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Staci,
It looks terrific, very nice work. How does it feel to finally get your baby back? lol

br
wjr953

Postby wickedwoman11 » November 12th, 2008, 10:24 am

awarsoca wrote:Well done Staci! With a few more lace color variations I think you might be able to relace that one blind (c;

That's funny, because my "other half" keeps grumbling that every time I relace it the holes get bigger and I'm going to ruin the glove! But you know, when I think how hard it was the first time, I do think I could do it blindfolded at this point. Now, my backup TrapEze, which sits unfinished after months of ignoring it (I got tired of banging my head against the wall trying to do the web), that is another story. That glove is totally finished except for the stupid web...

And hey Bill (wjr953) thanks...it was your laces that I used...just the rawhide side which were lighter in color than the finished side. It does feel good to have my baby back (in part, I'd say about 80% back...only because I'm still not happy with the front of the web). The sun bleached that part of the glove really light, so the contrast is most evident there. But it is a lot better than the chocolate laces (for me anyway). I couldn't have done it without your laces, so thanks again. I still wish I could have kept the old ones, but since they were dying, I guess this is the next best thing. :wink:
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 12th, 2008, 10:59 am

Staci,
You're very welcome, I'm glad that I could help and that everything worked out for the best.

br
wjr953

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration