Lacing a new glove

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Lacing a new glove

Postby Turn_Two19 » October 28th, 2008, 7:47 pm

How long does it take to lace a new glove (in the factory)?

This is probably a question for Doc, but I'll throw it out there to see if anyone has insight.

I've read that a really good lacer can re-lace an old glove in 20 to 45 minutes, but a new glove with tight lace holes must take longer, right?

Anyone have some insight?

Thanks
Turn_Two19
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby yankees23 » October 28th, 2008, 9:14 pm

I have a mini CD that Rawlings sent to my Daughter when she wrote to them and it shows in detail how they make a glove including the lacing process and it doesent look like it takes them more than 20 Minutes. They could probally could do it with there eyes closed. The guy they show on the disk is very quick and smooth. I believe they also show how they make there wooden bats if I am not mistaken.
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby docglov » October 29th, 2008, 8:29 am

I can cut out old laces and replace in 20 min the factory takes about 55 min from cow hide to box but thats more than one person, thats just the actual laber needed. but of course that 20 min for me is only when they can get to do it ha.

Doc
docglov
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Lacing a new glove

Postby glovemedic » October 29th, 2008, 11:06 am

Turn_Two19 wrote: I've read that a really good lacer can re-lace an old glove in 20 to 45 minutes

It takes me a little longer than 45 min to relace a glove. Basket webs are easier, traps more difficult, and H/I's are some where in between.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » October 29th, 2008, 11:16 am

glovemedic wrote:It takes me a little longer than 45 min to relace a glove.

Chuck,
I would have to say that I'm a little slower than that. For a conventional "modern" glove, anywhere from 45-60 minutes on average, sometimes more if I run into a "problem child". For catcher and 1B mitts, longer than that because I haven't done a lot of those. I've not had the opportunity to re-lace a Trap web.

br
wjr953

Postby glovemedic » October 29th, 2008, 4:06 pm

wjr953 wrote:I would have to say that I'm a little slower than that. For a conventional "modern" glove, anywhere from 45-60 minutes on average, sometimes more if I run into a "problem child".

Every glove offers a different set of problems. I'm sure Doc is able to cut right through them with all of his experience. Sometimes it can take me an hr or more just to figure out the web.
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 15th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Some gloves put up a fight. Others just let it happen.

About 1 hour and 15 minutes on average for most gloves. I really like to make sure the lace lays flat. I am turning into one of "those" that likes lace ends to be much longer than factory.

I'm trying to fight it though. :?
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 22nd, 2008, 5:12 pm

I can't explain why...but I lace better (and faster) when the gloves owner is in front of me.

I've noticed this the last couple of times I've had this happen when the glove needs to be done right there and then.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » January 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm

I'll confess about this one.

I had a blue & black Trevino catcher's mitt that was brand new. The owner wanted the laces changed in color (from blue to black). I did it 3 days ago.

This mitt killed me. It took me about 4 hours. :cry:
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » June 15th, 2009, 10:08 pm

jsalinas wrote:I'll confess about this one.

I had a blue & black Trevino catcher's mitt that was brand new. This mitt killed me. It took me about 4 hours. :cry:

So you did the job at something less than minimum wage. How fondly I remember the 1st Catcher's mitt I relaced. I deliberately raised my price right after that so I would not get any others for awhile
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » June 16th, 2009, 10:49 pm

I've gotten the time on a field glove from 45 minutes to an hour at a steady pace.

Mitts are getting faster...but still not where I want the time to be.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration