dark laces

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

dark laces

Postby H-webman » October 16th, 2008, 10:10 am

Hey Guys
Can someone please help me acquire some dark brown laces with the contrasting lighter inside color? I can find chocolate brown laces with the same inside color but not the contrast. I think it looks really sharp on some of the old Wilsons. I have three gloves that i would love to relace with these. Thanks for any info in advance!! here is a picture from gloveworks webpage on a Rawlings he re laced with the color lacing I'm looking for.

[img][img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb274/Hwebman/brownlaces.jpg[/img][/img]
H-webman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby fuzzydogg22 » October 16th, 2008, 6:08 pm

i would be interested in some too
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." -Yogi Berra
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 16th, 2008, 6:42 pm

You can probably get them if you order them in large quatities from Triple-C Leather. Otherwise, I would love to find a source for those, too! I love the contrasting look of the unfinished leather, as opposed to the "dyed-through" look on most dark brown laces.

Something I have been doing quite a bit of is hand-dying laces to come up with colors I like, or to match the laces on vintage gloves. The laces on the Rawlings glove in the photo look exactly like the ones I just dyed for a fellow board member here, for use on an early 60's Trap-Eze glove.

I've found that with a little trial and error I can hand-dye regular tan laces to match just about any shade of brown. I have several bottles of various dyes to choose from. It's still a little bit experimental as I'm finding that laces from different sources will have different finishes, and that affects how the dye is absorbed and how the finished laces look. But, I've managed to come up with a few combinations that work great and have a wonderful vintage look.

It kind of takes a steady hand to dye just the top/finished face of the lace, but that too is getting better as I get more experience!

I've also experimented with dying unusual colors, like green or red, and haven't had such good results. When starting with a tan lace, the colors come out dull- like muddy green or muddy red. I'm looking into trying this with white laces from Tanner's to see if that works out better. It would be great to offer my customers any color under the rainbow, as I do get quite a few requests for different colored laces.

If you do some searching on the net, you can find a lot of colored laces, but it isn't always cost-effective to order enough laces for one glove at a time, and it would be kind of expensive to stock a large variety of colors. And, you can't really find those cool vintage looking laces anywhere, unless you custom order them in large quantities from Triple-C.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

dark laces

Postby H-webman » October 16th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Thanks for the response. dying them is not an option for a klutze like me. But, I would love to see some of your efforts. Alot of you guys on this forum are a step above the rest of us and I really enjoy learning from you all. Thanks again.
H-webman
Veteran Glove Poster

dark lacing

Postby H-webman » October 16th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Can someone give me Triple C web page? I am having trouble finding it.
Thanks
H-webman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » October 16th, 2008, 9:16 pm

H-webman said
Can someone give me Triple C web page? I am having trouble finding it.
Thanks

http://www.triplecleather.com/
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration