Broken web

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Broken web

Postby WilsonA1000 » October 12th, 2008, 10:42 pm

How do you repair an "I post" web that is torn at the bottom (where the laces connect the pocket to the web)?
WilsonA1000
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » October 13th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Sounds like a web relace job. Does anyone have a diagram like docglove posted about relacing the ProH web a few months back? I know that dapert suggested we start stockpiling those diagrams but I have not seen anyone else put one up.

Without the diagram you just have to remove the lace carefully and either relace it immediately as you pull it out or draw yourself a really good map as you pull it out and then relace it from your map.

If you have never done it before be patient and go slowly. If you want hints on tools to make the job easier check out the glove restoration section of this forum.

Good luck!
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 13th, 2008, 7:35 pm

If you just need a lace replaced, that is an easy fix. If you need help, drop me a line at the email address found in the "Glove Shop" link below.

If you're talking about part of the leather shell being ripped- like ripped out around the holes where the lacing attaches- that is a more complicated repair. A repairman with experience sewing leather would have to take care of that. The resulting repair might not be pretty, but it will be functional.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration