Repainting Black Rivets?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Repainting Black Rivets?

Postby Tedwilliams94sox » October 5th, 2008, 11:50 am

I have an A2000 i am working on. The rivets have half the black paint rubbed off on them, would it be feasible to carefully paint them black with black nail polish?
Tedwilliams94sox
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 5th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Very feasible. I've touched-up eyelets with model paint before- you need a steady hand!

If there are just some smaller flecks of paint shipped off, I have used a black Sharpie pen to touch them up. It's easier than using a tiny paintbrush.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby yankees23 » October 5th, 2008, 8:10 pm

I have used a Testors Black Paint marker to touch the rivets up and it did a pretty nice job. Once again you need a steady hand but if you are patient it comes out pretty nice.
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 5th, 2008, 10:43 pm

I didn't realize that Testors now made "paint pens". Hey, it's been a few years since I built a model! That sounds like a good choice for this kind of touch-up.

I'm not sure what kind of tip the paint pens have, but the sharp point of a Sharpie pen makes it pretty easy to just barely touch the eyelet and not get any ink on your precious leather.

If you need to go "all out" on a restoration, you can buy brand new eyelets from the Tandy Leather Factory. They're dirt cheap- about 5 bucks for a pack of 100. You can paint them any color you want before installing them.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration