Would using only 1/4 inch lace on an a2000 look weird?

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Would using only 1/4 inch lace on an a2000 look weird?

Postby Tedwilliams94sox » September 28th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Would using only thicker 1/4 lace look weird if used on an entire glove? I am specifically thinking of an a2000. Thank You!
Tedwilliams94sox
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 29th, 2008, 3:23 am

It would definitely look out-of-place on an older, vintage A2000 (anything pre-90-ish). For being top-of-the-line gloves, those vintage models sure had some down-right skinny laces!

On later gloves the laces are somewhat wider and the 1/4" laces wouldn't be such a glaring difference. You might have some problems pulling 1/4" lace through some of the tighter spots- like in the palm where the lace doubles up through the same hole twice.

Would it look "weird"? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I guess it depends on what model/style/year glove you have and what your personal definition of "weird" is. Personally, whenever I relace a glove I try to match the original laces as closely as possible. To me, anything else looks weird!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 18th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I would agree in using original width laces.

The look is different. I relaced a 13" Akadema a few weeks back using all 1/4" lace and it was a pain in the behind to do.

Some eyelets are too small to punch two 1/4" laces through. It was the first and last time I'll be doing that.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 18th, 2008, 3:30 pm

I've got to agree with the others, stick with the original lacing size and you'll be better off. I recently re-did a Wilson ACH 2170, and I used some lace that I bought from Tanner's that was sold on eBay last year as 3/16" but was in reality 1/4". It was quite an effort to get that 1/4" through the glove, let me tell you. All was fine and good until I did the lower heel pad run and the lower outer wrap. I got the rawhide through alright, and I tied off all my knots. The glove looked great, but you would have had to have the strength of the Incredible Hulk to close the damn glove. That wider rawhide just would not budge. I tried beating it with the mitt masher, thinking maybe that it was just new. No luck. So, I bit the bullet and redid the glove with 3/16". Literally, the result was like night and day. Just a completely different glove. You wouldn't think 1/16th of an inch could make that much of a difference, but it did.

br
wjr953

Postby jsalinas » November 18th, 2008, 10:18 pm

wjr953 wrote:I've got to agree with the others, stick with the original lacing size and you'll be better off. I recently re-did a Wilson ACH 2170, and I used some lace that I bought from Tanner's that was sold on eBay last year as 3/16" but was in reality 1/4". It was quite an effort to get that 1/4" through the glove, let me tell you. All was fine and good until I did the lower heel pad run and the lower outer wrap. I got the rawhide through alright, and I tied off all my knots. The glove looked great, but you would have had to have the strength of the Incredible Hulk to close the damn glove. That wider rawhide just would not budge. I tried beating it with the mitt masher, thinking maybe that it was just new. No luck. So, I bit the bullet and redid the glove with 3/16". Literally, the result was like night and day. Just a completely different glove. You wouldn't think 1/16th of an inch could make that much of a difference, but it did.

br

Like I said, never again am I doing an entire glove in 1/4" lace.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration