Franklin Dr. Glove...

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

Franklin Dr. Glove...

Postby RedSoxFan81 » September 25th, 2008, 1:48 am

I was considering trying this on my pro preferred glove. I really am not concerned with if it darkens the camel color leather, as long as it doesn't add any noticeable weight to the glove. Is this one of the better ones to use to keep it from weighing down the glove? I also was wondering if I should just do the palm/fingers of the catching side of the glove? that way to keep the structure/shape/firmness of the exterior?

Also has anyone tried this on any horween gloves? I have a Horween PRO 1000H that I would like to not be so stiff, and open/close easier. I've worked the hinge a ton, but still is harder to close than I prefer, ideas?
RedSoxFan81
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 25th, 2008, 12:12 pm

My experience has been that Franklin's Doctor Glove adds no excess weight- even if you slather a ton of it on. It is my preferred product for breaking in brand new, really stiff gloves. I also use it on vintage gloves that have become rock-hard and dried out.

But then I might also use Lexol, lanolin or petroleum jelly if the mood strikes me!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Franklin Dr. Glove...

Postby glovin » October 29th, 2008, 1:37 pm

RedSoxFan81 wrote:I was considering trying this on my pro preferred glove. I really am not concerned with if it darkens the camel color leather, as long as it doesn't add any noticeable weight to the glove. Is this one of the better ones to use to keep it from weighing down the glove? I also was wondering if I should just do the palm/fingers of the catching side of the glove? that way to keep the structure/shape/firmness of the exterior?

Also has anyone tried this on any horween gloves? I have a Horween PRO 1000H that I would like to not be so stiff, and open/close easier. I've worked the hinge a ton, but still is harder to close than I prefer, ideas?

when i used the franklin dr. glove, it definitely made the glove a lot softer...however, it would also take a lot of the dye out of the glove...my hand/ towel were black after applying the franklin dr. glove formula...i've had similar results with the rawlings glovolium...
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » October 29th, 2008, 4:13 pm

I am a big fan of the Dr. Franklin...it does soften the glove, and I would also like to second that it does make black dye come off some. That being said, on my camel colored glove it didn't darken the leather.

It has actually always been my conditioner of choice, though I'm now using some Primo Glove Butter.
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2008, 4:23 pm

The same thing seems to happen to me on just about any black glove I clean, no matter what cleaner or conditioner I use.

Just got done using some Doctor Glove on an old Rawlings where the shell was in good shape, but the inner lining was cracked and brittle. I used the DG just on the inside of the glove and it really softened it up a lot.

I really like this product, aside from the tendency of the neats-foot oil in the mix to darken leather a bit. If that isn't an issue, I don't have any problem using it.

In fact, the "darkening" effect isn't all that extreme- not like you get with a straight oil, or like a tan glove is going to turn black or anything. On some of the tan gloves I've used it on, it just gives the leather a rich looking "honey-colored" glow that is actually quite appealling.

Plus, it helps that a few years ago I was in a Walmart at the end of baseball season and they had Doctor Glove marked at a clearance price of one dollar a can and I bought about ten cans!
BretMan

Postby mrh64 » October 29th, 2008, 5:26 pm

I've had the brown bottle Lexol really take the dye off of a blue HOH I have, I wonder if this is normal?
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 29th, 2008, 10:19 pm

I really think it's the way those colored gloves are dyed, and not the cleaner/conditioner that causes this.
BretMan

Postby mrh64 » October 29th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I agree that its the glove and not the Lexol causing this I just wonder if there is a way to prevent this
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration