The New Brew

Please share your knowledge on how to keep your vintage gloves in great shape and looking sharp.

The New Brew

Postby dwags4him » September 11th, 2008, 6:11 pm

So,

It was time to whip up some new glove potion....

This time I went with two containers of Vaseline (13 oz) and about 12 teaspoons of hydrous lanolin....

I left out the Champro glove oil (which I used last time) only because it left my hands so greasy, and it darkened the leather....this version does neither....heck, it works like hand lotion.

You melt both parts into a pot (on low heat, takes about 5 minutes) mix them well and pour them back into the Vaseline containers, then toss them into the freezer.

So far so good....it leaves a slight tackiness but a nice patina without buffing.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » September 12th, 2008, 11:06 am

How about a picture or two of what it looks like on a glove? I've used both vaseline and lanolin on gloves separately but never combined. I would be curious to see what it looks like.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dwags4him » September 12th, 2008, 11:14 am

I would love to see one too...but I have no digital camera.....

Sorry....
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » September 12th, 2008, 11:15 am

I mix them as well and love the results. My lanolin is anhydrous and is very thick so I mix a bit of water in as well. I might have to buy a pot just for this as my wife would flip if I used "her" pots for this.

I do about a 50/50 mix of vasoline and lanolin and a few drops of water to get it going and then mix like crazy with a popsicle stick. I'm tempted to heat and melt to see if the end result is any different.

In the pictures section I have an A3000 I did and used this exact mixture on it.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » September 12th, 2008, 5:12 pm

thanks dapert i know the glove you're speaking of and have seen the pics. that turned out very nice.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dapert » September 12th, 2008, 6:07 pm

thanks candlestick....it looks better in person too...I've tried a few small batches of different mixtures and I like the 50/50 the best. Pure PJ gets a bit greasy for my tastes and pure lanolin sometimes gives more shine than I'm looking for.

Mine looks like a softened tub of margarine when it's done. Not yellow like butter but in between yellow and white.
dapert
Veteran Glove Poster

My mix...

Postby oldreliable » September 13th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Yup, I have a mix, too.

Mine is petroleum jelly, some anhydrous lanolin, some Lexol--brown bottle, a TINY bit of neatsfoot oil, and a shot of Rawlings Glovolium.

I heated it up and stirred it together, then threw it in the freezer right away.

It is whitish in color, really feels like mildly warm, waxy margarine, and doesn't discolor leather much at all. I have used it on three gloves, and they all put on a nice warm glow.

The main ingredient is petroleum jelly.

I love it. I need to come up with a name for it....
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Glove Conditioning and Restoration